First BIAB, first 5-gallon batch, what recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oberon67

Reaction score
Hey, all.

After having made two one-gallon brews and with two more in the fermenters, I'm ready and willing to step up to an all-grain five-gallon batch. [Translation: I'm tired of doing all that work for just ten bottles of beer.]

I have a turkey fryer (including pot, lid, strainer, and burner) for mashing and boiling, and a water-cooler jug for a carboy. I have a stopper and tubing and a racking cane, a hydrometer, a thermometer, and some US-05 yeast I harvested from my last small batch. I plan to acquire a mesh bag for brew-in-a-bag, because I don't have a five-gallon lauter tun.

So I'm wondering, what's a simple basic ale recipe I could start out with? I will be buying my ingredients once I decide on the recipe. I'm thinking something top-fermented, not a lot of ingredients and not too complex, that is easy to get right the first time. Maybe a basic brown ale, malty, with only bittering hops? Or maybe an amber, ditto ditto?

I've been looking at the recipes, and frankly I'm bewildered by the choices.

The difference in complexity between a porter and a cream ale is only in the amounts of different grains. You mill them all and mix them into the mash at the same time. End of complexity in the mashing. Brew what kind of beer you like.

Back