first biab and I dont know wtf I am doing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crash1292

Reaction score
got my barley crusher and grain
have a 7 1/2 gal bk
have a unmodded cooler
want to brew eds house ale
reading all the threads about biab
so confused, too much info too many ways to do it
need the simple way to do this
I guess I will end up with beer even if I f up

RDWHAHB!!!

I feel your pain. I just brewed my first BIAB yesterday... was fun, but learned a lot like you will.

Watch this video... it might calm your nerves down as it did mine.

Measure twice, cut once. When I homebrew, I try to run the whole process thru my head several times and then get going. Just take your time and watch your temps. Have fun!

Last edited by a moderator:
relax... that's the whole point of BIAB.. relax.. watch that video posted above.. and relax.. have a home brew if you have some on hand (I'm out but brewing my first BIAB right now!) as long as you hit your mash temps, and have an OG near what you wanted after you boil, then it'll turn out great.. even if you end up higher on the OG and a bit low on the OG, it'll still turn out great..

I have just finished brewing Ed's Hause Pale Ale using the same method you are talking about. Here is the steps that I took as far as I can remember.
1. Heated up 14qts of water to 176 degrees.
2. Put water in un-modded 5 gallon cooler.
3. Let water set until the temp dropped to 168 degrees.
4. Added half of the grain and stirred
5. Added the rest of the grain and stirred again.
6. Put lid on cooler and covered with a blanket.
7. Drank a homebrew
8. After an hour mash I heated up 12 qts sparge water to 190 degrees
9. After 90 minutes, I drained the wort from the cooler into my pot using an auto-siphon
10. Added half the sparge water to cooler after draining mash, let sit for 10 minutes, stirred and drained with auto-siphon and added the rest of the sparge water and waited for another 10 minutes.
11. Drained rest of sparge water, pulled up the bag of grain and sat it ontop of a cullinder and let drain for a few minutes. Put all liquer in my pot and boiled as per schedule.
This was only my second all grain batch but the first one using the cooler. I was one degree high on my mash temp, and a little low on sparging. My pre-boil gravity was 1.049 and ended up with OG of 1.055.
Like I said, this was only my second try at this, and some things need to be improved on but it seemed to work out ok.
Hope this helps.

holy crap did my first BIAB and it looks like a gallon of trub on the bottom of my fermentor
sound normal?

holy crap did my first BIAB and it looks like a gallon of trub on the bottom of my fermentor
sound normal?

Is this your 1st all grain? You get more trub w/ all-grain than extract b/c the extract has almost no proteins in it.

If the recipe has wheat you tend to get more trub.

Also I have experienced that I get more trub if I do a finer crush, but a higher efficiency. Adjust your top-off water to compensate.

Lastly if you can chill your wort as quickly as you can. You supposedly wind up with less trub in the fermenter because it falls into the bottom of the boil kettle. If you stir while its cooling it will precipitate at the center of the BK, making siphoning only wort easier.

1. Heated up 14qts of water to 176 degrees.
8. After an hour mash I heated up 12 qts sparge water to 190 degrees

This is not a true BIAB method. In BIAB you put all of your water into the kettle at one time (depending on grain bill, and your evap rate somewhere close to +-8 gallons)

You get the water to temp, put in your grain stir, cover pot and let set an hour.

Pull bag out slowly and let it drain. Twist bag to get all of the goodness out

Start Boil

I usually put the bag into another kettle to continue draining, while I get the boil to temp, then add whatever else I get out.

I don't know what you'd call what I did then. I found it easier to keep my temps steady by using a 5 gallon cooler with a bag holding the grains. I used an auto siphon to drain the wort and sparged. I guess it is a combination of biab and regular mashing.

there are many ways to mash.. BIAB and traditional as well as a combination. what you did was make beer from grain.. in the end as long as you get a beer that's drinkable then it really doesn't matter how you got there does it?

I agree, there is more than one way to skin a cat. I do what works best for me in my limited experience. I'm sure my technique will evolve as I do more and more all grain brewing.

i'm currently waiting to bottle my first all grain beer. i did BIAB and it went very well. i cant wait to try it. and i cant wait till the primary is empty so i can do anther batch

Back