first beer schedule using fermentation chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ziggityz

Reaction score
I have finally put together a fermentation chamber and am brewing a breakfast (ish) stout this weekend. My normal schedule has been 10 days in primary, 14 in secondary and then bottle. I am really considering not even transferring to a secondary, fermenting for 7 days at 65 degrees and then increasing the temp to around 70 for another 10 days, cold crashing for 3 or so days, then straight into the bottle. Will this new schedule work for most beers?? Also, should I bottle condition around the 70 degree mark in my fermentation chamber??

Thanks for any input.

Your schedule sounds OK to me. Not even sure that I would raise the temperature to 70* but shouldn't hurt. Stick with the primary only though and bottle condition at 70*. If you have an area that you can achieve close to the 70* mark for conditioning, I wouldn't tie up my fermenatation chamber.

I have finally put together a fermentation chamber and am brewing a breakfast (ish) stout this weekend. My normal schedule has been 10 days in primary, 14 in secondary and then bottle. I am really considering not even transferring to a secondary, fermenting for 7 days at 65 degrees and then increasing the temp to around 70 for another 10 days, cold crashing for 3 or so days, then straight into the bottle. Will this new schedule work for most beers?? Also, should I bottle condition around the 70 degree mark in my fermentation chamber??

Thanks for any input.

Your schedule should work for beers up to about an OG of 1.060 but beyond that might need a little longer in the fermentation chamber. I'm not real sure why you want to cold crash a stout. Cold crashing will settle more yeast and get you clearer beer but how will you tell if it is clearer when it is a stout?

I bottle condition at about 72 because that is the temperature of my house. I wouldn't tie up a fermentation chamber for conditioning unless your house is very warm or prone to large temperature swings.

The time when temperature is critical is the first 3 or 4 days, from pitching yeast through the fast ferment as that is when the off flavors are produced. Once the ferment slows you really don't need to control the temperature except to keep it from high temps and large swings. I start mine cool for 4 to 7 days, then move the fermenter to room temperature.

I want to cold crash jus because I've never gotten to cold crash a beer before :) Thanks for the input... much appreciated!

Latest posts

Back