First Beer and First Label

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KCStokes

Reaction score
After brewing and bottling my first beer, I needed something beer related to keep morale up while waiting for it to age, so I figured I would take a stab at making a label. Here's what I came up with, probably going to change the bottom, don't like how bottle and conditioned are on different lines. Need to line up the beginning of blue and the end of brewery too.
label.jpg

That's very nice. I'd get rid of the "beer" on the bottom and have the top line read "homebrewed" and then the bottom line just read "bottle conditioned". Since its labeled Mild Ale, the "beer" on the bottom is redundant...

That's very nice. I'd get rid of the "beer" on the bottom and have the top line read "homebrewed" and then the bottom line just read "bottle conditioned". Since its labeled Mild Ale, the "beer" on the bottom is redundant...

Yeah that's true, it didn't look good with Homebrewed on the top line and "Bottle Conditioned Beer" on the bottom. I couldn't think of anything else to put there. I'll drop the beer......off of the label.

Yeah that's true, it didn't look good with Homebrewed on the top line and "Bottle Conditioned Beer" on the bottom. I couldn't think of anything else to put there. I'll drop the beer......off of the label.

Other than that, I really like it. What software did you use?

Just Photoshop, I've done a lot of vector stuff with the photoshop pen tool, and I'm used to using it, although i hear all that stuff is way easier in illustrator. Of course that heron picture I lifted from an ornothology plate. I just wish the background to the heron went further to the left and right.

Edit:Easier in Illustrator, not photoshop, durr

Just Photoshop, I've done a lot of vector stuff with the photoshop pen tool, and I'm used to using it, although i hear all that stuff is way easier in photoshop. Of course that heron picture I lifted from an ornothology plate. I just wish the background to the heron went further to the left and right.

Cool. For the background, did you try cloning it at all? Its probably too detailed for that though...

I'd cut the heron out from it's too-small background and paste it on a background that is big enough...

And Illustrator is the way for the vector stuff.

I would possibly make either of these 2 slight changes

BlueHeronBrewery2.jpg

or

BlueHeronBrewery1.jpg

Forgive their roughness. It's obvious what I changed in the center. I also added a drop shadow to most of the text to push it forward. I'd consider changing the font. Overall it's a very nice label!

Fwiw Lazy Magnolia Brewery here in MS has a bier name Blue Heron. It's their best bier, a Krystal Weizen.

Schlante,
Phillip

Thank you everybody for the good feedback. I pretty much used all of your suggestions. Here's v2 of the label. Thanks a ton Phillip for the mock-ups, as soon as I saw that first one I knew that would be what I would go for. Font is easy to change, I just have to spend some time looking for one better than this one.
BHB.jpg

Forgive their roughness.

I'm actually impressed with your work since you only had the JPG to start with.

That looks really good. All those changes really helped. Great job. :mug:

Thank you. Now I just need to brew a beer that's as good as the label makes it seem. Maybe the label will have some kind of psychological effect and make the beer seem better. You drink with your eyes first?

You're very welcome KC. I just hope the bier is as good as your label!

As for the Lazy Mag brews ibrewdou, the Blue Heron is my favorite, followed by the seasonal Jefferson Stout, then an amber rye bier called Amberjacque (sp?), and then the Southern Pecan. They've expanded thier capacity and are about to offer another bottled bier.

Schlante,
Phillip

Latest posts

Back