First batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KSUWildcat

Reaction score
Just want to say this forum helped convince me to jump into wine making. Now on to my question.

I bought an equipment kit with the 6 gallon carboy because some of the wine kits I've seen call for the 6. I wanted to start with just a concentrate batch to get the steps down and its a small loss if i do something wrong but its recipe is only for 5 gallons.

Could I add water or fruit to raise the level and adjust the sugar and acid content as I go?

Thank you for your help.

Dang all of that local Tallgrass brew for motivation and you start making wine :D ;)

Good luck with the wine!

They do a good enough job with the beer, time for someone to start making good wine out here! And don't forget to mention little apple brewery! Tasty tasty beer there too

Ohhhh that's the one I need to stop in Manhattan and try, thanks for the reminder! :D

If you want to use a 6 gal for 5 gallons of wine occasionally, you can get marbles to top it off with.

also if you're just doing a concentrate batch to try it out it wouldn't hurt to toss in another gallon and another container or two of concentrate. How much are you putting in now? What's your concentrate/sugar/water ratio?

I have one 96 ounce can and have seen differences on how much sugar but I was going to go between a half pound to a pound and watch with the sugar level.
Was thinking about possibly adding some peaches to help make it a fuller body. Would it help in such a small quantity?

Whoa. Where'd you find a 96oz can of concentrate?? :D

I normally run ten 12oz concentrates with 10# of sugar but never less then 5# of sugar for a 5 gallon batch.

Raisins are good for body. Just put them in a blender, add just enough warm water to cover. They chop up real easy and don't leave sticky goo the blender. Stick the raisens in a mesh bag so they're easy to remove. :)

Got it from bacchus and barleycorn in kansas city, alexander sun is the brand. Thanks for the raisin idea, I think I will try that. Should make for an interesting first white.

Cheese cloth would work if you tie it into a little bag. I hope you experience with B&B was better than any I have ever had.

Back