First batch taste horrible!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSOE_HomeBrew

Reaction score
The was a change in temperature during primary fermentation from 62 to 75 and i believe it ruined my beer. After 3 weeks in the secondary and 2 weeks in the bottles it taste like crap and smells like some sort of chemical. Is it worth waiting to see if it cleans up or should i just dump it?

I always wait it out. Can you describe the taste and smell a little more and what kind of beer you made? All relative facts related to the brew could help people identify the problem, if there is one, for you.

I made a lemon coriander weiss. It has a funky chemical smell to it and a taste of really bitter and nasty. I couldn't even finish the glass.

It won't hurt to wait. That's a pretty ambitious recipe for a first time out. You might try a simpler one next time around. At the very least, it will minimize your variables.

I made a lemon coriander weiss. It has a funky chemical smell to it and a taste of really bitter and nasty. I couldn't even finish the glass.

Lemon coriander? Even if you fermented at a constant temp, I'd be willing to bet that would taste like a$$. Try a more basic recipe next time.

Seems to be phenolics, from what you said, which is expected on a weiss (band-aid/medicine taste/smell).
I personally hate the taste and can't stand the style.

Lemon coriander? Even if you fermented at a constant temp, I'd be willing to bet that would taste like a$$. Try a more basic recipe next time.

Agreed. For a first batch you want to try a basic brew so you can concentrate on the basics and procedures, and if you did it well then you can tell by the wondrous beer. Trying something that is spiced, uses chemicals, or has odd additions just adds too many variables.

That being said, it doesn't hurt to have bottles sitting around for a few weeks. Can you describe the taste? And what did you do for the lemon aspect? Could be a pH issue if you used a ton of lemon juice, or used it at all potentially.

Sounds more like a problem with a high heat during the grain steeping (I'm assuming you steeped specialty grains, and this wasn't an all extract mix), or possibly even some sort of unintended infection. Also could happen from squeezing the grain bag after steeping. That temp swing, unless it happened quickly and regularly, wouldn't hurt the yeast bad enough to cause them to be unable to clean up their mess.

What was the recipe, and what processes did you use during your brew day?

What yeast?, How much lemon exteact or peels did you use?, ..you know what post the recipe and so we could pinpoint some things for you. Phenolic aromas and flavors such as medicinal, listerinelike, band-aidlike, etc. are most often caused by bacteria due to poor sanitation. Sometimes it is caused by using chlorinated water or improper rinsing of cleaners and sanitizers. Phenols can also be extracted from the grain husks if your sparge temperature is too high.

Not certain about grain bag squeezing being an issue. Can you please explain the taste? That way we know where the issue lies. I had a heat wave and it made the beer have a band-aid taste, but that was a big wave.

I can't explain it. Just overly bitter but not a bitter given off by hops and followed by a horrible rotten taste.

How long has the brew been going? Did you ever taste it and it tasted fine? Sometimes these things work their own way out.

Would you describe it more as sour than bitter? During a big heat wave I lost about $400 of rare beer, and it tasted sour.

Bitter though could be that you are tasting the yeast, if they are still in suspension. Was your sample you tasted cloudy?

First and foremost, do not get discouraged. It may still be fine, and if not, then the next brew will work out instead.

Ok, me and my roommate just did an in-dept taste test and came to this conclusion. The beer smells like unripe bananas and has a metal after taste.

Ah. Banana can come from the yeast at a high temperature. I had this happen to one of my Belgians I made, again it was a heat wave situation. The flavor did subside however, but it was very extreme initially for me so didn't go away completely. Time will heal it, check it in another week.

As for the metal after taste.... did you use an aluminum pot that hadn't been oxidized?

lemon+coriander+wheat? i love wheat beers, but i wouldn't try that combo. at higher temps, the phenols would come out of the wheat, and add to the innate bitterness of both the lemon and the coriander.

Already mentioned above, but banana flavors can indicate esters produced during higher-temp or heftier fermentations. I currently have a Belgian Strong that I made during the start of October, and even now (nearing the end of November) it's still extremely banana-esque in both nose and taste. All I can recommend is aging the bastard for a few more weeks (if not months) and see if that doesn't help.

Sidenote: I've become a hefty advocate of aging beer lately, but there's a damn good reason why. :)

Ugh, there's a lemon coriander weiss KIT?
I'm with lumpher, there's a lot of bitterness stuff in that recipe even if it's done perfectly.

Did you use an aluminum pot without boiling water in it first to build an oxide layer?

What yeast did you end up using with the kit? This is very important for the banana flavor, some yeasts throw TONS of banana at normal temps and some throw it when they get too warm.

Did you use tap water or filtered?

I did the same kit. It sucks. It doesn't taste good. I thought it was just me too... but I tasted a Left Hand Brewing Cracked Wheat and it tasted the same way.. like ass.

Did any of the lemon come through for you at all? Mine didn't. I did this for my second brew and followed the directions to a T.

That really sucks to have spent all of that time and money to have a beer turn out like crap. Especially your first kit. Lemon coriander wheat doesn't sound so great.

Let me buy you a kit.

PM me your address and I will ship it right out.

I really don't want your homebrew experience to be like this.

Forrest

That really sucks to have spent all of that time and money to have a beer turn out like crap. Especially your first kit. Lemon coriander wheat doesn't sound so great.

Let me buy you a kit.

Forrest

Well this is just awesome! How rad is this guy! Forrest you are my new Santa.....meant that in the most manly way. Expect my wishlist soon.

Let me buy you a kit.

Forrest

:rockin::ban:

Let me buy you a kit.

Forrest

Forrest you are my new hero!! :ban:

Let me buy you a kit.

Forrest

And that's why you get my business!

Thanks for all that you do, Forrest!

You're a stand-up guy Forrest. And you clearly get how to build relationships with your customers. My hat's off to you. :mug:

Forrest, that rocks.

And to the original poster- sorry that it didn't work out, and I know it is easy to want to do an off wall brew for a first go. Basics first though, make something that is just extract with steeped grains (not extract only, steeping is an EASY way to get character).

Don't be discouraged! It sucks to have time and money go down the drain, but at least it wasn't your methods to blame!

Just checking back in to say thanks for everyones help and to let you know my pumpkin ale (my second attempt) taste AMAZING! It has only aged one week in the bottle but taste 1000 times better than the ruined ale.

Thanks for the update, glad to see things are going well! It is easy to get turned off of a hobby when the first attempt goes down the drain, and in this hobby it can be literal.

Keep on brewing, it keeps getting better and more fun!

Latest posts

Back