First Batch - Success, in Spite of......

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoefromPhilly

Reaction score
I tasted my first few bottles today. It was a mexican cerveza hopped extract with only a one pound bag of DME, instead of three. the guy at my local HBS did not tell me I should have used more. The OG was only 1.032. I boiled the extract for 30 minutes and added a couple gallons of the wort to water in the fermenter. I did not do any real aeration of the wort, and pitched a packet of dry yeast at a temperature above normal.

I let it sit in the primary for about 13 days at room temperature (about 70 degrees), then bottled it using priming sugar. The bottles sat for two weeks, then I stuck a few in the fridge. I got a chill haze and was worried.

Tonight, I opened a bottle, and poured it. Great head on the beer, and it was well carbonated. It had good color, but tasted like a light beer. No off flavors at all. My SWMBO had a glass and said it was good. It tasted like real beer.

So, all you newbies, not to worry. You can do things not by the book and it will still turn out. I had three bottles tonight and can feel a buzz. Looking forward to bottling my next batch that is fermenting now. This one was done by the book, so it can only be better. Right?

- Joe

Congrats buddy.... nothing like the SWMBO actually liking your first beer. Be careful! That may change down the road.

Thanks. I learned a ton from this site, and have already made a 52-quart mash tun, got a 50' wort chiller on ebay for $60, and did my second batch (fermenting now) with hops and irish moss. I just need to get a turkey fryer and will be ready to try an AG batch.

- Joe

Latest posts

Back