First batch questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdanderson1449

Reaction score
Sunday, my buddies and I brewed a first batch of beer.

It's a kit from Midwest, the Peace Java Stout. We followed the instructions to the letter, making sure everything was sanitized and so forth. The friend who's house it's stored at during the fermenting process hands us updates daily.

Well, today, he told us that the bubbling has slowed down. I'm not overly concerned that it's not fermenting just a little concerned that it's doing so too slowly or that it has done so too quickly and there may be a problem.

It started fermenting maybe 6 hours after we pitched yeast, and it is in his basement which could potentially cause it to run slowly. I'm gonna go over there and take a gravity reading tonight and will again tomorrow and on Friday to see if we're stalling or just going slowly.

I will note that our plastic fermenter is on the floor. In the basement. Temperature wise, the basement is fine but, we have had a cold snap overnight and the temperature dropped pretty low but it's the first one of the year so I sort of doubt that it's related to that but I'm going to get it up off the floor anyway to ease my mind.

Other than that, there's not anything to tell. Everything went well, we were careful to sanitize everything and lowered the temperature quickly to pitch yeast. Overall, it was a pretty successful brew day. I even got to drink some beers with my buds. Hopefully in a few more weeks it will be ones we made.

It sounds like it's doing just fine. Throw a blanket over top of it if you think its a little too cool. But I don't think that anything is going wrong. Grab a beer, sit back, and let it ride.

That's kinda what I thought too. Like I said, I'm not gonna fret too much over it until I've taken the measurements and made the very few adjustments to environment that would help me sleep better.

I already don't sleep well because I'm trying to figure out what to brew next AND how to brew more!

Thanks for any and all suggestions in advance, folks.

Everything you have said sounds normal. I would skip the gravity readings for at least two weeks. Every time you open the fermenter, especially as fermentations slows, is a chance for infection.

Working on that right now. Beer in one hand and just sent a message to the other 5 of my cohorts to decide on our next brew.

My vote is for a copper ale or an altbier but we're all pals so we make the decision together and if one doesn't get his way this batch we try to make concessions so that everyone gets a pick.

I don't drink much for IPAs and my mate Robert, adores 120 minute Dogfish Head. At something around 140 IBU, I'm out on that one but I shouldn't deprive him of it because I don't want to drink it. I'm the only one of the bunch that has strong feelings toward cider and mead. That's where they'll have to make the concessions.

Regardless of what's next, we have a couple of good pubs in town and we're all getting together on Friday to go sample flights, maybe then we can pin down our next brew.

So, I couldn't take it anymore. I ran over to my buddy's house (he lives 6 blocks away) to check on the wort. I shot it with the IR thermometer, 66*. I shined a light through the side of the bucket, and there definitely has been/ is still activity. We're getting bubbles through the airlock about every 2-3 minutes.

I'm pretty sure everything is cool. I did raise it up off the concrete because the concrete is a couple of degrees cooler, and I wrapped it because we're on the low end of fermentation temps and I want to rack this beer for secondary fermentation on Sunday. At the rate things are going, I don't think there are any problems and everything looks ok at least through the side of a white plastic bucket.

Thanks again for letting the new guy freak out a little bit.

The fermenting beer is fine, especially at 66F. No need to keep freaking out & messing with it. The yeast won't forget what to do just because you're not standing over them all the time. Just leave it be. Testing it a couple days in just because the rapid bubbling slowed or stops is pointless. The rapid bubbling slowing or stopping only means initial fermentation is done. It'll then slowly, uneventfully creep down to a stable FG all by it's lonesome. Step away from the fermenter, take a deep breath & let it go. The yeast know what they're doing.

Today is the day. Our beer has been fermenting for 7 days. We're racking to our secondary this afternoon. We'll be adding about a pot of strongly brewed coffee to the secondary because coffee stout.

Anything special I need to know about this process other than what I already know about sanitation?

A few of my brewer friends have suggested letting or wort ferment for 3 weeks without touching it.

Any thoughts behind this aside from minimizing risk of infection and less risk of oxidizing?

A few of my brewer friends have suggested letting or wort ferment for 3 weeks without touching it.

Any thoughts behind this aside from minimizing risk of infection and less risk of oxidizing?

YES! Let it sit, the yeast have work to do post fermentation that you cannot see...they have to be given time to clean up and you don't want to rack it before that....in fact, there is no need to move to a secondary at all...it doesn't accomplish anything.

3 weeks without touching it is a capital idea. It's hard as hell to do, but patience is a homebrewer's most important skill.

I brewed this same kit about a year ago. Went well.
My 2¢...Brew a very strong coffee and just pitch into primary. No need to rack into secondary on top of the coffee

Ignore the instructions on racking to secondary in 7 days. Secondary, as mentioned earlier, is not needed in this case. Lots of times instructions will tell you that to get you buying another kit quicker. Wait at least 3 weeks before opening it up and taking gravity readings. It may be hard to do being this is the start of your brewing obsession but trust the forum community and your beer will be better for it.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I'm trying very hard to be patient. I just feel like I should be doing something even though there is nothing to do.

I guess I'll just relax, have another beer and plan the next brew. That way there will be something to do.

Remember: yeast are shy. You keep peeking and they crawl in the corner and hide til you leave. Would you like someone staring at you while you copulate, pee and poop?

I'm trying very hard to be patient. I just feel like I should be doing something even though there is nothing to do.

I guess I'll just relax, have another beer and plan the next brew. That way there will be something to do.

If you need something to do that bad, spend the $10 ($2/person) buy another bucket and airlock, and brew another batch. There is nothing that says you cannot have 2+ batches fermenting at the same time. You will only get a bout 10 beers each if you evenly distribute, I know I couldn't make 10 beers last the 3 week minimum it takes to make beer.

Would you like someone staring at you while you copulate, pee and poop?

Are you offering?

Matter of fact, next extract batch ingredients are ordered and on their way. Copper ale. And in the meantime, I'm contemplating getting a third fermenter. Thoughts on Better Bottles or Big mouth Bubbles?

And, I threw together an experimental batch of cider too which is also bubbling away happily in my basement.

I couldn't imagine brewing with 4 other guys... I'm way to controlling over my process and couldn't handle 4 other opinions about what to do, what beer should be brewed next, etc. You should start brewing some batches on the sneak and have your own stash! Good luck to ya and I hope your beer turned out well.

I couldn't imagine brewing with 4 other guys... I'm way to controlling over my process and couldn't handle 4 other opinions about what to do, what beer should be brewed next, etc. You should start brewing some batches on the sneak and have your own stash! Good luck to ya and I hope your beer turned out well.

Hahaha I agree back away from MY beer! I couldn't do it I need control over my process too bad.....

We've been friends for the better part of a decade. One of my friends is married to my wife's best friend and we're all pretty laid back dudes.

Not to say that I don't give gentle nudges in the direction of beers that I want to make.

Latest posts

Back