first batch. need a quick answer (on wine ingredients)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fat cat

Reaction score
first batch ever. doing concord frozen grape recipe. Asked the guy at the shop where I bought my equipment kit to include all chems. needed. The recipe calles for acid blend and pectic acid. He did not supply me with this. is this needed or can I do without it. Sitting now ready for yeast and yeast nutrient.

Oh, you can easily live without it!

The acid blend gives it a nice balanced taste, but the concord grape juice is acidic enough on its own. The pectic enzyme simply breaks down the pectin to reduce haze.

Make it with what you have. In two weeks or before bottling, you taste it and it tastes "meh" you can add some acid blend, or a little lemon juice for some acid. You can add the pectic enzyme if you need it to help clear, but you probably won't even miss it!

woke up this morning to a nice foamy cap in the bucket. smells awful but was sort of expecting that.:rockin:

Back