First batch in a year after 5 infected batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JumboBlimpJumbo

Reaction score
A few days ago I started the first batch I have done in a year after my 5 previous batches were infected by what I think is lactobacillus. That was pretty discouraging, then I went to study abroad in Mexico for a semester, and last semester was just too demanding to leave any time for brewing, so here I am starting up again and trying to get it right this time.

My main goal is to make beer that is not infected, with a secondary goal of making good beer that is not infected. I have made plenty of good beers in the past and never had any problems with infection, but it seems like last summer I couldn't make anything that wasn't infected. Part of this problem was my impatience, as I made all 5 of these batches before the first one was even carbonated in the bottles. I wasn't diligent enough with my note taking but I think my spoiled batches coincided with the first time I used my keg converted kettle to do full boils, and chilled and transferred to the fermenter outside.

For this brew, I replaced everything plastic that the beer will come into contact with: bucket, hoses, racking cane, bottle filler, airlock, everything. To eliminate what I think the main problem was, pulling air onto the cooled wort, I decided to use the no chill method after reading up on it here. I didn't buy one of the cubes that most people talk about using, just your standard HDPE bucket with a 3 piece airlock. I knew the liquid and air in the head space would contract so I filled the airlock with whiskey (I was out of vodka and the liquor stores were closed) and put a whiskey soaked cotton ball in between the main airlock component and the riser cap. I actually expected most of the whiskey to be sucked into the wort but as far as I can tell none of it was, the airlock was just bubbling opposite to the direction that I'm used to. Yesterday I hydrated a packet of Safale US-05 (tossed in ~86 degree water for thirty minutes then 15 minutes on the stir plate), racked the wort from the bucket to a carboy while splashing it as much as I could to hopefully get some dissolved oxygen, and pitched the yeast. Now about 16 hours later there is a nice thick krausen at the top and it is bubbling happily away.

I don't know how good I expect the beer to be because my fridge was full of year old LME and my freezer was full of year old hops that I'm sure as hell not going to throw away, so I used those. I also wanted to start with a simple beer to eliminate variables and not have overpowering flavors that would mask any possible off flavors so here is my recipe for a very simple golden ale. I doubled up on bittering hops because of the long storage time.

Fermentables: 7 lb Ultra Light LME (year old)

Specialty Grains: none

Bittering Hops: 1oz Cascade ( 7.5 %) pellets, year old (60 mins)
0.8oz Centennial (9.5%) pellets, year old, already opened (60 min)

Finishing Hops: 1 oz Cascade ( 7.5%) pellets, year old (5 mins)

Yeast: Safale us-05 dry yeast

Other:

1 tsp fermax yeast nutrient boiled 15 minutes

OG: 1.048 at ~70 degrees

I did a 6 and 1/2 to 7 gallon boil with RO water and didn't add anything to change the water chemistry as I've read it's not necessary with extract batches. Moved the keg inside right after flame out to transfer it to the bucket this time (and burned my hand in the process). I transferred from the keg using a food grade silicone hose and avoided splashing so I didn't get the mythical hot side aeration. Also this is the first time I am fermenting somewhat temperature controlled using a carboy wearing a black t shirt sitting in a water filled oil pan next to a box fan. I don't know what the actual fermentation temp is but the water in the oil pan is ~65.

All of my previous infected batches share a sour, almost green apple in a bad way flavor and none of them carbonated very well. One was completely uncarbonated and completely undrinkable and had to be poured out. One was pitched onto the yeast cake of the one I just mentioned and sat there for over a year until last week when I opened it almost puked so I just threw the fermenter and beer into the dumpster. On several of the bottled beers I noticed a film develop on top of the bottles that dissipated after 6 months or so. I still am able to drink 3 of the beers when I don't feel like spending money on better beer at the store with only a small degree of disgust, or after I have a nice buzz on no problem.

I'll keep you guys updated on the progress of the beer for anyone that cares. Feel free to tell me something blatantly obvious that I've done wrong or ask any questions if I've left something out.

What are your sanitation processes? how do you clean, and sanitize things? How do you clean your bottling bucket?

Take wort stability tests. Boil mason jars to sanitize, then fill (and label) each one after each step of the process, cap, and let it sit out. If you find your beer is infected when you try to drink it, look closely at your wort stability tests to see where you went wrong. If the test taken after cooling is dirty, your colling method is to blame. After primary, your fermenter is to blame.... and so on. If a wort test is bad, you can see the foam or stringy appearance near the top, and ultimately smell the difference.

For sanitation I try to thoroughly clean everything I can with dish soap and hot water, then I put pretty much everything except for nylon hoses, glass carboys, and hydrometers in the dishwasher on sanitize with heated drying, then spray everything with a star san solution that I made double strength.

I used to use a bottling bucket with a spigot on it but ditched that for just a regular bucket with an autosiphon because the spigot is too hard to clean.

I've never taken wort stability tests but I generally take a sample to taste every time I transfer. It's been a year but from what I remember all of my batches tasted bad before bottling but I'm not sure when I started noticing the flavor. That sounds like a pretty good idea though. I don't have mason jars but I have plenty of empty beer bottles that could work.

As an update on my impatience I started a double IPA yesterday with the same method except I used 10 lbs of LME, 1 tablespoon yeast nutrient, and I'm pitching 2 packets of US-05 sometime later today. Planning on adding 2 lbs of corn sugar after primary fermentation appears to be complete.

So I left both beers in primary for over a month because I was lazy, and bottled them two weeks ago. Now they are both carbonated and delicious. I can't taste any off flavors and there is no sign of infection.

The two main things that I think contributed to not infecting the beer were using the no chill method and yeast nutrient. The yeast was definitely healthier because I had previously made this same recipe for the double IPA and it never carbonated after I bottled it.

I read a lot on this site about no chill and everything I read said to use a cube, eliminate all head space, and seal it airtight while it is cooling, but i just used a regular airlock with alcohol in it and an alcohol soaked cotton ball in between the air tube and bubble cap and it turned out fine.

Latest posts

Back