First batch, couple questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pistolpete

Reaction score
So just started my first batch today, using a EC1118 yeast (recommended at the local shop). I took some advice from someone here and kept it simple for the first batch. I am using pasteurized cider from a local press (against the advice of the local shop), one less step not having to sulfate the cider hopefully keeping it a little simpler. I have this in a fermentation bucket I got from the local shop, little more then 24L so there is 1-1 1/2" air gap at the top. From reading the forum here it seems air space can be a real issue, should I be topping this up right to the top, or wait to see if it is going to produce alot of foam? Or will this be more of a concern once I rack to the carboy? Thanks in advance.

Its going to produce foam, so dont top it off now. As long as its producing CO2, you dont have a problem. If you bulk age in a carboy after fermentation, you could top it off, but IMHO it is better to just blow some C02 on the top to keep the oxygen off it. If you dont have CO2, you can get a can of wine conditioner from the wineshop that is the same thing. For that matter, keeping the oxygen off is really only an issue if you want to age this for a long time

Thanks CvilleKevin, just wanted to make sure. It's already doing it's thing, haven't opened it, just some bubbles out the air lock.

Back