First Baib. is it already ruined?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

indymedic

Reaction score
Well I'm currently boiling my first BIAB and had some problems. First off I misinterpreted the process and put my grains in the bag in cold water in my BK and began heating. I misread my thermometer and went 8 degrees over my mash temp to 160f. I wasn't to worried about that and I thought everything was going well until my mash was over and I went to lift the bag. It burned and broke. I had to transfer everything to my ferment bucket with my extra bag(thank god i had one). Then clean my scorched pot out and transfer back. So it prob is going to have some oxydation from moving it. I tasted it and it tasted fine. Possibly a litle burned but hard to tell. My main concern is the nylon burning. Is that going to poison my beer? I guess there has to be first time mistakes for everything. Hopefilly I don't have to dump it.i

No worries on oxygenation, as it is really difficult to produce on the hot side. Due to starting the mash in cold water and then going up to 160, FG will most likely be somewhere other than planned. It could be higher or it could be lower. It just depends on at what temps the majority of the conversion took place. I'd guess it will be on the low side, but that's just a guess. I wouldn't worry about the nylon, but I tend to be rather indifferent to such things.

Mistakes were definitely made, but I'd let it ride. It'll probably be fine.

Thanks. That eases my mind some. If I put everything in brewers friend right my efficiency was 76%. My OG came out at 1.061 which is lower than what i was hoping but I guess that is the least of my worries. All in all I guess I have to finish it and see what happens. I know better for the next one now. I had to learn at some point.

I did a DIPA where my false bottom became dislodged, I had to scoop all the grain out, reset the bed, ugh. Didn't hit my gravity, but the beer came out delicious. So, all may not be lost.

Back