First bach in progress.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aedan382

Reaction score
Well, I attended an informal "how to brew" class and tasting at my LHBS in Kent, OH. and after two agonizing weeks of staring at my brew equipment, I'm starting my first batch. It's mostly an extract batch with about 2 lbs of grain for steeping, which is the step I'm at now. Just wanted to drop a thread and say thanks to everyone on here for preaching patience, and the 'search' function on the forum. Here's hoisting one to you guys.

Well everything went pretty well. A few mistakes were made. I know, a rookie brewer making mistakes? That's un-possible!
I forgot the Irish moss, so slightly longer in the secondary? Or bottle? Or both?
I also spilled about 3 quarts of wort, and I had to top off. so my reading of 1.070 og is going to be lower. Other than that, she's aerated and pitched, And I'm just waiting for the bubbles to start showing in my bucket at the end of my blow off tube.

Bach.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist. congrats on the first brew, welcome to the club. I'm on my 3rd batch, and it's quickly gone from "fun new hobby" to "consuming obsession"

Dont really have to secondary.It will clear just as well, longer in primary.Depending what it is also. Irish moss is helpfull but alot do without it fine.

Well, I'm 4 days in and the krausen is still HUGE! I'm really glad I took the advice on here and used a blowoff tube. The smell is heavenly, and like many others on here hade stated, I can't stop watching it!

Back