First attempt cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vsusinga

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I am about to attempt my first full batch of hard cider. I see a lot of recipes in the forums. I got a recipe from my lhbs. Their recipe cals for using pectic enzyme, tannin powder and all that. What r u guys' thoughts on using the additives?. I just want to make a clear cider.. sweet with good carbonation so i plan on back sweetening with some non fermentables (xylitol or splenda maybe.. maybe lactose)

so far my experience has been that filtered juice makes for a painless and very clear product quickly and easily, as long as you don't add something hot enough to create a pectic haze.

Is there a big taste difference when using juice as opposed to cider?

IMO, there is. Fresh pressed apples from a local orchard tend to offer far more complex and interesting flavors than apple juice made for distribution on a national scale. It is also POSSIBLE that a local orchard will agree to fill your carboys or buckets AND they may be willing to include varieties of apples that you specify if they have them on hand and are pressing them at that time.
Now, if you do go with pressed fruit it can make good sense to use pectinase to avoid pectic haze and it can make sense to experiment with tannins. But you may want to keep your first batch very simple and slowly tweak different variables. I have been adding dry hops (not figured out a way to boil the hops without boiling the cider) and tannins because I really like the astringency and flavors they add/bring out.
The secret, though, is patience. Cider likes to age and while it is drinkable after a few months. The taste moves into a different league after about 12 months.

Thanks everyone for the help!.. i dont have anywhere near i can get fresh juice from right now, so im going with Musselmans Cider . This is pasteurized .. but i do have a question. Since im going to be adding pectic enzyme and yeast nutrient, should I also use Campden?.. or do i need not worry about an infection from adding the extras?

Unless i am misinformed, Campden tablets are used to kill any indigenous strains. Again, i may be misinformed-but I believe Musselman's cider is sold commercially in supermarkets AND is pasteurized. Therefore, unless i've missed something- you need no campden for your pasteurized, supermarket cider.
(P.S.- You may already know this, but make sure whatever you are using contains nothing with Potassium, Sodium, or Calcium in the name; These are added to kill any and every strain of yeast. Also, there is limited evidence these are harmful to humans.):mug:

Campdens should kill the yeast and bacteria that was present when you added it and the gas-off after 1-2 days and leave the cider ready for you to pitch a new yeast. Anything added to the cider that isn't sterile / pasteurized is a potential infection source and is a valid concern.

That said, if you've kept your nutrient and pectic clean and dry it shouldn't have enough bacteria to cause a problem assuming you pitch a good amount of yeast into your cider. If you don't pitch much yeast or if that yeast takes too long to start going to work even a small infection could wreck the batch.

So....I would skip the campden and make sure to use a good amount of yeast.

Thank you Asgard! Also, is there anything special i need to do to the nutrient and enzymes? Do i just toss it in amd give it a stir? . I also may be using tannin powder

I just toss it in and stir / shake. Make sure to sanitize any utensils well before using them (the measuring spoons, stirring spoon, etc.). So far I haven't had any problems but that's not a guarantee of future results.

Hey everyone!. So i just started my cider... I think i made a boo boo. I absent mindedly took a gravity reading right after i pitched my dry yeast. When i put the wine thief in the carboy and lifted it out a LOT of the yeast came with it. Do ya think im okay?

So ..... Everything looks good. Fermentation seems t be slowing mayybe just a tiny bit, but there seems to be a white film developing on the glass.. its above the liquid but im a little worried. Heres a pic.. what do you all think is goin on here?

1397497249855.jpg

Krausen already fizzed out. That ring is still there but im asking about the thin film forming above that.. it looks foggy but thats a thin film forming on the glass

Interested to see how it turns out.

Are you using a recipe from Weekend Brewer?

i personally dont like adding tablets and powders to my ciders (or beer) and tend to go all natural. I usually use a few raisens for a pectic enzyme sub and black tea for a tannin sub. They work great.
Also, you can keep it simple and still end up with a great product. One of my favorite ciders is only 2 ingredients--Motts apple juice, and US-05. Let it go dry and bottle with no carbination.
The cider i make time and time again and is mine (and SWAMBO) favorite is motts juice, brown sugar to bring it up to 1.065, and 1 lipton tea bag per gal juice. Let it ferm out dry, then secondary with 2 lil sweetie oranges per gal. I usually slice the oranges and soak them in a little vodka. I will let them sit in the secondary for 3-4 days then cold crash and bottle. Le residual juice from the oranges carbs them up nicely to a guess of 1.5 vols. I really dont like my apfelwine/cider carbed, but this on i like it lightely carbed

[ame]http://vimeo.com/48954331[/ame]

This video helped me a lot with my first cider, which was a success. There is even a basic recipe on the website.

Latest posts

Back