first attempt at my own recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jako

Reaction score
still new to brewing this will be my 9th batch 4th all grain. i currently BIAB but i am looking at making a mash tun this weekend, we will see. this will be my first attempt at making my own recipe from scratch, i think i want to brew a sour blond ale with some type of fruit not sure what fruit. i just want a beer that's very unique.

should i start with a base blond ale and change hops, yeast to my liking? or start fresh?

how long should the beer sit on the fruit? i was reading some let it sit for a very very long time with the brett, honestly i don't have the time to tie up my equipment for that long should i just skip the souring? the point of this brew is to learn how to make a recipe and hopefully use new equipment.

It sounds to me like you want to make a "kettle sour".

I haven't (and probably won't) make a fruit beer without Brett but you can probably have it done fermenting in 2-3 weeks.

The kettle sour process is good for new brewers who don't want to wait a long time or risk any equipment contamination. The process quickly adds a clean smooth sourness without any complexity.

Basic process:
After your mash, bring the wort to a boil and then cool.
Optional: pre-acidify wort to pH 4 to 4.5.
Add lactic acid bacteria (in the kettle) and seal.
Wait 24-72 hours, keeping at appropriate temperature.
Boil as normal, adding hops if desired (up to 5-10 IBU)
Proceed as normal with fermentation. Add fruit in a secondary if desired after about a week in primary.

You seem to be on the right track. RPh_Guy offers good suggestions to get started.

Just curious....what makes you want to change over to MLT from a BIAB setup? I went the other way to BIAB and feel very rewarded by the beers I am producing.

Is there an allure there with MLT...or are you just checking other processes so you'll know what feels best to you?

It sounds to me like you want to make a "kettle sour".

I haven't (and probably won't) make a fruit beer without Brett but you can probably have it done fermenting in 2-3 weeks.

The kettle sour process is good for new brewers who don't want to wait a long time or risk any equipment contamination. The process quickly adds a clean smooth sourness without any complexity.

Basic process:
After your mash, bring the wort to a boil and then cool.
Optional: pre-acidify wort to pH 4 to 4.5.
Add lactic acid bacteria (in the kettle) and seal.
Wait 24-72 hours, keeping at appropriate temperature.
Boil as normal, adding hops if desired (up to 5-10 IBU)
Proceed as normal with fermentation. Add fruit in a secondary if desired after about a week in primary.

Definitely what I am looking for thank you for the suggestion.

You seem to be on the right track. RPh_Guy offers good suggestions to get started.

Just curious....what makes you want to change over to MLT from a BIAB setup? I went the other way to BIAB and feel very rewarded by the beers I am producing.

Is there an allure there with MLT...or are you just checking other processes so you'll know what feels best to you?

A few reasons. My kettle is only a 8 gallon so I don't have room to do a full volume mash, if I have to dunk sparge/sparge anyways why not upgrade to a mash tun. I will be able to heat my full
volume of water and mash. Also I really really like to brew, and I would love to have my own brewery or pub one day. I am still a rookie but I want to learn everything.

BIAB works great for me now. I just want to experiment more.

A few reasons. My kettle is only a 8 gallon so I don't have room to do a full volume mash, if I have to dunk sparge/sparge anyways why not upgrade to a mash tun. I will be able to heat my full
volume of water and mash. Also I really really like to brew, and I would love to have my own brewery or pub one day. I am still a rookie but I want to learn everything.

BIAB works great for me now. I just want to experiment more.

Wise move to know all you can about each process. Some processes are attractive to folks for various reasons, but I never pick one over the other because it is "easier". I always look for the process that makes the best beer.

With a traditional MLT, you are removing the wort from the grain. With a BIAB process, you are removing the grain from the wort. You end up at the same place when all is said and done. I'd certainly encourage you to try both processes.

You can absolutely handle a 5-gallon batch in an 8 gallon pot...especially a kettle sour, which you’ll barely boil....so your pre boil wort can be much less. I’ve done all grain high gravity imperial stouts and barleywines in an 8-gallon kettle and 10 gallon mash tun. It can be sketchy in some cases but it’s doable.

So make sure when you build your recipe and do your mash water calculator that you account for a short boil. I do it a little different than how RpH described. I mash, then boil for 10-15 mins adding yeast nutrient and then chill to suggested temp on lacto pack...and then I actually rack into a keg, pitch the lacto, and purge the co2. Omega’s lacto usually takes me 3-5 days to get to the ph level I like with this method. My house stays around 75 degrees and I occasionally take measures to get the wort up into the 80s. Once I’ve reached the sourness level I like, it’s back into the boil kettle, boil for another 10-15 mins and add my yeast nutrient again + whirfloc + any hops you may want, but not necessary if making a fruited sour...then cool and pitch your yeast like any other beer. I typically ferment for 10-14 days in primary and then rack onto fruit in secondary...how long I leave it on the fruit depends on the fruit and how you’ve prepared it.

Back