First attempt at hops growing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misfit76

Reaction score
This year will be my first attempt at growing hops. Due to some limitations, things will be in big planters, so hopefully, there will be plenty of room for the roots to grow. The boxes are 80" long, 22" wide, and 38" deep. I was thinking of doing 2 varietals per box. I am going with Cascade, Magnum, Continental, and Columbus.

As I understand, irrigation for the boxes might be complicated as the ground cannot be allowed to get saturated to prevent root rot. I am trying to make a decision on whether to go with SIP "self-watering" system utilizing 4" corrugated pipe or doing a bit more electronics tinkering and setting up automated watering with the soil moisture content measurement with some hardware from Vegetronix: Official Web Site

I am on the coast in California and we do not get much rain in the summer and have not had that much in the last few winters either.

Here are the photos of the planters.

20210219_131532.jpg

20210219_131436.jpg

If this set-up were in my garden I'd install a couple sections of 4" drain tile (perforated pipe) in the bottom of that box drained to daylight, then I'd add about 8" to 10" of drain rock and a layer of garden fabric of choice, from there I'd take my garden soil of choice and cut it up to 25% or more (depends on the parent soil) with something like perlite or crushed volcanic rock and some clean washed sand (25%) to aid in the drainage and compaction of the soil. At that point it's gonna be a well drained soil that wont get mucky no matter how much rainfall. Wooden dowels work great as moisture meters, poke it down into the soil and remove, the moisture on the dowel will be evident.

I've always believed in the K.I.S.S. methodology.

Last edited:
I would stick to one type per box or at least have a divider in the box that goes down a foot or more to keep the rhizomes separate. Rhizomes can travel a long way, so this physical separation will be important if you care to know exactly what each bine is as it comes out of the soil.

Maybe trap each crown in a bottomless 5 gallon bucket?

If this set-up were in my garden I'd install a couple sections of 4" drain tile (perforated pipe) in the bottom of that box drained to daylight, then I'd add about 8" to 10" of drain rock and a layer of garden fabric of choice, from there I'd take my garden soil of choice and cut it up to 25% or more (depends on the parent soil) with something like perlite or crushed volcanic rock and some clean washed sand (25%) to aid in the drainage and compaction of the soil. At that point it's gonna be a well drained soil that wont get mucky no matter how much rainfall. Wooden dowels work great as moisture meters, poke it down into the soil and remove, the moisture on the dowel will be evident.

I've always believed in the K.I.S.S. methodology.

Are you suggesting drain tile for drainage or actual bottom-up irrigation?

I would stick to one type per box or at least have a divider in the box that goes down a foot or more to keep the rhizomes separate. Rhizomes can travel a long way, so this physical separation will be important if you care to know exactly what each bine is as it comes out of the soil.

Maybe trap each crown in a bottomless 5 gallon bucket?

Thanks for the suggestion!

It's all about the drainage, you may not be getting much precip now as we (PNW) are in drought situations in the last few years or so, but if you don't plan for worst case then it'll catch up when least expected and make a mess out of things.

At the depth you're working with I would not consider bottom up, I'd let gravity do it's job.

That is an awesome build! I agree with trying to separate the two plantings in one box with a divider or limiting one cultivar per box. It would be a bummer to not know what’s what come harvest time.

Back