First attempt at harvesting yeast from bottles..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dstockwell

Reaction score
So first attempt at harvesting yeast from bottles.. Wait and see if it works.

4 bottles of Ommegang Abbey Ale. Since I don't have DME I tried following these instructions http://homebrewmanual.com/harvesting-yeast-from-bottles/

I mashed 7oz of Pale in 32oz of water for an hour, boiled 20min, chilled and pitched dregs. Well I checked this morning and after 8 hours did not see any krausen. So I gave it a swirl, set it back down, will check later.

s1.jpg

s2.jpg

S3.jpg

With the two different yeast strains I've harvested from bottles it usually goes like this:
A Hefe yeast strain is dirt simple to harvest, didn't even need the whole bottle. Just carefully decant off most of the beer, swirl up the sediment and then add it to the starter. Always takes off within a 36-48 hrs.

Now to contrast that easy harvest with a harder one would be an Amber ale. poured two full bottles into the starter and waited for like... 9 days for any activity to show. It worked too, just took a little longer ( ;

With the two different yeast strains I've harvested from bottles it usually goes like this:
A Hefe yeast strain is dirt simple to harvest, didn't even need the whole bottle. Just carefully decant off most of the beer, swirl up the sediment and then add it to the starter. Always takes off within a 36-48 hrs.

Now to contrast that easy harvest with a harder one would be an Amber ale. poured two full bottles into the starter and waited for like... 9 days for any activity to show. It worked too, just took a little longer ( ;

Why didn't you decant off most of the beer (you could have, you know, drank it), and pitch the rest into the starter?

Well that's reassuring, just may take longer than I thought.

WOW, took 4 days before any signs of life. Now wait and see.

20160206_121722.jpg

Latest posts

Back