First attempt at a recipe - give predictions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kbecks

Reaction score
So took my first stab at an off the wall recipe for a pale ale (also first post, cheers!) using some hops that i had laying around, but kinda went a bit off the deep end on the grain bill. Curious what everyone hear thinks about this and any tips or feedback. I'll try to incorporate that for next time since I already brewed this and it's currently sitting in the fermenter :p

I wanted something a bit malty and have the water somewhat balanced in terms of sulfate/chloride (1.3). I typically do smaller BIAB batches and my main kettle is only 5.5 gallons, so to do larger batches i used some DME, probably could've used a tad bit less but just went with the entire 3lb bag. Also definitely didn't realize i'd need more yeast so grabbed a Nottingham to go with my planned east coast ale.

Batch size: 5 gallon
OG (measured): 1.056
Color: 6.7 SRM
IBU: 38
Est ABV: 5.5%

3 lb Briess golden light DME
4.5 lb pale malt (2 row)
0.45 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)
0.40 lb Crystal 15L (15 SRM)
0.25 lb Victory Malt (25 SRM)
0.20 lb Crystal 60L (60 SRM)

0.7 oz Centennial 60 mins
0.5 oz Perle 30 mins
0.25 oz Perle 15 mins
0.25 oz Cascade 10 mins
0.25 oz Cascade flameout

1 Package East Coast Ale WLP008
Half Package Nottingham Dry Yeast (since OG is 1.056 and didnt feel the White Labs was enough)

Cooled down into the 80s then filled fermenter and placed into freezer chamber and chilled down to 72 before pitching yeast, will keep around 69F

Last edited:
i'd drink it! ;)

i can't speak to much about the hop schedule, but the grain bill looks like something i'd throw in a pot and enjoy.....

Perle is a weird choice for a pale ale ,but then the hop schedule is more in line with a blonde ale. Looks like a tasty brew ,so after you sample it ,then you can call it the style it tastes like. Remember in your future recipes , if they don't turn out exactly, just change the style name.
I brewed my Munich Dunkle recipe but pitched Lutra instead of my house lager 833 and got the best Brown Ale ever, just changed the style name on the kegerator. It won best of 5 beers I had on tap on teach a buddy to brew day last Nov.

Perle is a weird choice for a pale ale ,but then the hop schedule is more in line with a blonde ale. Looks like a tasty brew ,so after you sample it ,then you can call it the style it tastes like. Remember in your future recipes , if they don't turn out exactly, just change the style name.
I brewed my Munich Dunkle recipe but pitched Lutra instead of my house lager 833 and got the best Brown Ale ever, just changed the style name on the kegerator. It won best of 5 beers I had on tap on teach a buddy to brew day last Nov.

Haha i might have been playing with a blonde ale recipe before making this, maybe I sub-consciously thought Perle was a good choice because of that...

The hop schedule is definitely a bit all over the place, wanted to use the rest of the Centennial and Cascade that I had and got a new one to try out. Think its probably better to start with fewer varieties in future, will let me get more individual flavors from them and learn what I like.

I would drink it! :D I wouldn't make a recipe with that many malts unless I was just trying to use up scraps, but I don't see anything wrong with it.

How did it turn out? I always like Perle and Cascade separately, hopefully they go well together!

Thanks @Upstate12866 for the How did it turn out post. Prediction: It made beer. LOL It looks something similar to my first recipe design, to many malts and hops at all available times. Now I do base malt + 2 character malts tops and 60 min and 5 min or FO hops. I know I could not tell the difference between a 10 and 30 minute addition. My buds must be broken.

I can imagine, I too have a hard time discerning fine details. Simple is always good :)

Last edited:
Personally I'd ditch the victory and crystal 15. I'd also add that 15 min hop addition to the 60 min addition to up the ibu's a bit and put everything else in at flameout.

Back