First Apfelwien, low starting gravity?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesrm

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Just mixed together my first batch of Apfelwien, I got juice (from sams) from concentrate and vitamin C only. They were 3l bottles in a 2 pack, so I used 21 l of Apple Juice, 2lb dextrose, and a monchete packet. By my refractometer (First time I used it, I calibrated it to 0 with tap water), it was reading 14 brix, or a SG of 1.056 . If I do the math right, that makes its potential at 7.7% alchohol, is that right? Sounds low for the style.

Thanks for the noob love,
James :mug:

Think I should add some DME or just see what it tastes like at 7.7? I had really wanted to toss in a cinnamon stick or two, but I really wanted to try the "pure" recipe before playing with yeast or additives.

Don't forget that it'll come out higher than 7.7% because with montracht you'll definitely get an FG less than 1.000. Mine came out close to 0.993, so this will add close to a full 1% abc more. To me, your OG sounds just fine.

Latest posts

Back