First All Grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdbc2011

Reaction score
I brewed my first all grain today. It was great! It was an AHS Red IPA with Pacman yeast, 11.5 lbs of grain and a target SG of 1.059.

I raised my strike water to 170 hoping the grain would bring it down to 154 but it only brought it to 160 so I added a couple of cold bottles of water and got it to 157-8. I used a ratio of 1.25 quarts per lb and then added another 1.5 quarts because of the false bottom. The temp finely dropped to 154 but it took 20-30 minutes of the hour. When I raised the temp (direct heat), I recirculated using a quart measuring cup.

I did not know how much I should recirculate (vorlauf). So I probably did about 1.5 gallons. I had the valve open pretty good so it did not take long.

After an hour mash, I fly sparged with enough 170 degree water to get 6.75 gal (I was hoping to get 6.5 but turned the valved the wrong way). I tried to keep about an inch of water above the grain. I also tried to stay at a rate between 1pt and 1 qt per minute. I forgot to mark the time I started sparging so I do not know the exact rate. (I was using the stopwatch on my phone to time it using a measuring cup and spilled water on it an it quit. lol)

I checked the gravity at 3.5 gallons, 5 gallons and 6.75 gallons. At 6.75 gallons is was 1.011.

Using an online calculator, the efficiency was about 73%.

The boil took about 25 minutes longer but I did wait the last 15 minutes to put in the flavor hops, Irish moss, and yeast nutrient.

My SG was 1.060! I was excited that it was so close to the AHS target.

The yeast was harvested and washed from a cake on February 17. I made a 24 oz yeast starter the day before and it had about 24 hours to start. I pitched at 2:15 and I had airlock activity at 5:00! Pacman yeast is great!

Thanks for all of the help from all of you who post and answer all of the questions. If you have any suggestions on what I did wrong or how to improve, please let me know.

photo (7).jpg

I think you have the same double burner that I am using....a little low in BTUs but it gets the job done. Sounds like you had a great brew day.

It is a camp stove, and it's been great for partial mash and extract boils. The burners look like bayou classic sq-14's but I am not sure. It boiled down from 6.75 to 5.25 gallons in just under an hour and a half. I used a bayou classic sq-10 for the sparge water. It was really loud, which I don't mind, but it makes me wonder if it uses a lot more propane.

Cool set-up! Gathering my gear so I can also all grain. Looking forward to hearing how your first batch turned out. Good luck!

I did not realize that I should have dry-hopped for only 7-10 days and I added the hops when I racked to the secondary. After reading HBT, I was worried that I would have a grassy beer. It is great! I drank one at 1 week and then a 2 weeks. It is a great IPA. FG was 1.009 with the Pacman yeast.

Excellent! AG is not that difficult. Congrats on your success. I predict many more in the coming weeks/months! :)

Excellent! AG is not that difficult. Congrats on your success. I predict many more in the coming weeks/months! :)

Thanks, I have a Dunkelweizen and an Irish Stout in secondaries, both were AG and the gravity was spot on for them when I racked. I will order an IPA with the remainder of the parts for my brew stand. I hope to brew again in a couple of weeks.

Back