First All-Grain with Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarcastro

Reaction score
I am doing my first All-Grain involving wheat this weekend. I am planning on brewing a Weizenbock. Are there any pointers for me, mashing, boil, fermentation, etc?

BTW, I do a batch sparge in a 10 gal cooler with a false bottom.

PS - If anyone has the Clone Brews Aventinus All Grain Recipe, could you post it ? I would appreciate it.

I got pretty low efficiency form my first wheat...about 8% lower than normal. I suspect that it was because I used the same setting on my grain mill as I do for all my barley crushing. You may want to set a finer crush for your wheat, or take the lower eff. into account. I didn't use rice hulls and had no problem fly sparging through my manifold.

Other than that it was very straight forward.

I have a false bottom (morebeer) and made a hefeweisen and did not use rice hulls and had no stuck fermentation problem at all. The brew had 40% wheat too.

Famous last words. :D My first brew was a Hefe with 50% wheat in a rubbermaid 10gal round with a false bottom. Yeah, it stuck. :( I had 1/2lb of rice huls, but I think I stirred too much and it let grains under the false bottom. Took forever to get the liquid out while sticking a wire in the valve to keep pushing grain out of the way.

Moral: Don't stir too hard! (Or too soft either ;) )

sarcastro said:
I dont think I will have a stuck mash with batch sparge.

If you are doing a Mashout before your sparge you can very easily have a stuck mash. However by grain bill was 10lbs of Wheat and 5 lbs 2 row so it was a little more likely for me because of how much Wheat I had.

Back