First all grain Thur. Efficiency help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheSlash

Reaction score
Done a couple of extracts only messed with FG numbers on those...

I'm doing Bee caves pale ale Thursday and not really sure on how to calc efficiency. I'll reread palmers section when I get home, but wondered if I can collect and record my numbers then figure out efficiency later on...

I plan to take a sample from the BK after the second sparge and let it cool to measure BG, then take one after the boil (let cool) as the OG, and then after fermentation as the FG. Is that correct?

I know he has the numbers laid out, but want to learn how to gauge this for my own beers. I do have beersmith and hopefully will get time to play with it some more.

I just want to make sure as I'm brewing I don't forget to grab a measurement I need to figure out Brewhouse efficiency and Alcohol percent...

Am I good?

Done a couple of extracts only messed with FG numbers on those...

I'm doing Bee caves pale ale Thursday and not really sure on how to calc efficiency. I'll reread palmers section when I get home, but wondered if I can collect and record my numbers then figure out efficiency later on...

I plan to take a sample from the BK after the second sparge and let it cool to measure BG, then take one after the boil (let cool) as the OG, and then after fermentation as the FG. Is that correct?

I know he has the numbers laid out, but want to learn how to gauge this for my own beers. I do have beersmith and hopefully will get time to play with it some more.

I just want to make sure as I'm brewing I don't forget to grab a measurement I need to figure out Brewhouse efficiency and Alcohol percent...

Am I good?

Yes. You will need gravity data and accurate volume data. You can do the math later. Your most accurate volume reading should be the Pre-Boil reading as you won't have to account for absorption by the hops.

Ah I see. So after both sparges are in the BK take the reading right after that, well before boil so no evap loss or hob absorption..

Yeah, make sure they are mixed with the first runnings and take a reading. You should be able to get a very accurate volume reading at this point. As it comes up to boil, you can do the math to figure out your eff.

And you can dump your sample back in if you want.

Yup, pretty much your pre-boil, post-boil, and post fermentation gravities coupled with the correspondin volumes can get you just about all the info you need.

Of course you need the PPG of your grain for brewhouse efficiency too!

Being that this is your first AG, relax!! Do a few more batches then start to "worry" about things like efficiency. You will make good beer as long as your temps, times, volumes, and sanitation are good!

Good luck and keep us updated on your brew!!

Well I did the Bee Cave Brewery Haus Ale Thursday. Most all went well... Had a leaky mash tun after preheat so had to tear that apart. Cooling wort down to get accurate hydro's sucked so getting a refractometer.

After all said and done, It looks like just over 75% efficiency! All gear was on its first test run including the barley crusher so I am quite pleased. She started bubbling sometime later that night. Not sure when as I was BEAT from starting the clean process at 3 and not finishing cleanup till 9pm. I can definitely shave a couple hours off that next time with better processes.

Thanks Bend and Kevin.

LOL... cleaning up is ALWAYS the worst part. I'll tell you though, don't EVER let anything sit, even to the next day. You'll regret letting it happen if you do. It requires a ton more effort after you wait.

Congrats on a successful brew day. You'll start to figure out times that you can walk away to start cleaning during the entire process. I start my boil and break down my mash tun for washing. I've also made an attachment for my sink that allows me to blast the insides of my keggles pretty well. It makes the process a bit easier.

LOL... cleaning up is ALWAYS the worst part. I'll tell you though, don't EVER let anything sit, even to the next day. You'll regret letting it happen if you do. It requires a ton more effort after you wait.

Congrats on a successful brew day. You'll start to figure out times that you can walk away to start cleaning during the entire process. I start my boil and break down my mash tun for washing. I've also made an attachment for my sink that allows me to blast the insides of my keggles pretty well. It makes the process a bit easier.

I hear you. I cleaned as I went the best I could for being the first time. I left some water in my HLT just to find out the next day a small drip really adds up!
I heard many people warn about the MT, so I cleaned that asap.

I need to start a thread on how the heck you seal these kettles, especially if I am to break down the BK valves and all each time. It took forever playing with the teflon tape. Even then my dip tubes must not have been air tight as the water level was over the tube still...

Learn as you go I suppose =)

I break down my ball valves once a year. Just think, a lot of guys have them welded on.

Latest posts

Back