First All Grain Left Me With Some Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FirefightingBrewer

Reaction score
So I did my first all grain brew yesterday and after I was finished it left me with a few questions.

My LHBS and I created a modified version of the "Cream of Three Crops" recipe found here in these forums. It was a 5 gallon batch and I included the recipe below.

8 lbs - 2 Row
.5 lbs - Cara Pils
2lbs - Flaked Maize
1lb - Flaked Rice
8oz - Rice Hulls

1oz - Amarillo Hops (60 Minutes)
1oz - Cascade Hops (10 Minutes)

White labs California Ale Yeast

Mashed all grains with 3.8 gallons for 60 minutes at 153-154 degrees. Batch sparged with 3 gallons 176 degree water, held for 10 minutes. Batch sparged again with 3 more gallons 176 degree water, held for 10 minutes. Collected a little more wort than I wanted in my brew pot, about 6.5 gallons. Boiled the wort for 60 minutes, put in the immersion chiller and after about 10 minutes lost power. Got the temperature down to about 88 degrees before losing the power.

Because I lost power I was not able to pitch the yeast for several hours after the boil. Also my yeast had sat at room temperature for about 8 hours because of the delay. Is the yeast ok and will the late pitching have any impact on my final brew?

Also, I am trying to figure out my efficiency. I had a pre-boil gravity of 1.041 and a post-boil gravity of 1.054, using those numbers how can I identify my efficiency? I am guessing my low pre-boil gravity is due to blowing my volume by a half gallon?

I look forward to your thoughts and guidance. Also, let me know if something I did stands out as being too crazy.

RDWHAHB. If you practice proper sanitation your beer will be fine. There are a couple of calculators online that I have found to be helpful in determining efficiency.

your yeast should be fine. Considering I make starters, they sit at room temp. for a day or 2.

I'm sure there is some fancy way to figure out efficiency, but I use beercalculus.com to formulate recipes. you could plug your recipe in and fool with the efficiency and see which setting gets you to your og. thats what I do

Back