First All Grain brew day, gone wrong... And it was good!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatduck

Reaction score
Today I used my brand new BoilerMaker set up for the first time, also my first all grain brew. How exciting!

The mash went well, fly sparging seemed to work, my sparge arm didn't seem to want to spin, but I just kept flicking it, and that worked fine. But I ended up with almost 10 gallons of wort when I only wanted to collect 6 1/2, so what do I do? Add 3 pounds of extract and split the brew down the middle. I kind of panicked at the start, but then I had a homebrew, relaxed and realized that I should just break it off into two batches.

So, the recipe was for an Irish Red, I ended up with a few points shy of my target gravity with the extra dry extract. I split the batch and put 1086 Irish ale yeast in one, and S-04 for another, and I plan on dry hopping the English with 2oz of whole leaf East Kent Goldings

So the mash, and boil were a little stressful, but I ended up with nearly 9 gallons of beer where I plan on 5, so all in all, a good day.

And lots learned for it.

Latest posts

Back