First All Grain Batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottyg354

Plant Based Homebrewer
Reaction score
Ok guys, just did my first all grain batch. 7.375 lbs of grain. 7 was British Pale Malt, 3/8 was Roasted Barley. Did a Single Infusion/Sparge. Did the initial infusion with 9.3 quarts of water @168 degrees to drop to 154 degrees. Mash seemed thick and wasn't holding temp. Boiled another quart and added it. Temp has maintained at 152 degrees. Any suggestion on how to get the right amount the first time. I know 1.25 quarts per pound of grain. That just didnt seem to work.

9.3 quarts should have been dead on. Did you pre-heat your mash tun? But if you are using a cooler, a drop of a few degrees during the mash is not unheard of. When I used to use a cooler, it is was a regular part of my brew day to check the mash temp half way through. I would give it a stir and check with my digital thermometer. If it had dropped, I added a little boiling water. Sounds like you did pretty good for your first go around.

Back