First All Grain Batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clickingwires

Reaction score
I am going to Donny first all grain batch next weekend and I have been doing research. This has made me more confused then it has helped me. Of course there seems to be about 50 ways to do this.

The equipment that I have is very minimal since I'm am just making the switch from extract. What I do have is listed below:
6.5 gal boil kettle
15 gal converted keg (mash tun)
1 propane burner

What I'm really wondering is if I can mash in the 15 gal keg and heat the sparge water in the boil kettle then pour sparge water into the keg and the drain the grain.... Are there pros or cons?

Thanks ahead of time.

I did similar things when I was starting out. Its a good way to start out without having to buy too much stuff.

When I did this, i would use a bucket from lowes to hold it until I was done sparging and then transfer it all into the boil kettle and start the boil.

If you are doing one big batch sparge and not draining the mash tun first, I suppose you wouldnt need this step and it'd be fine.

Awesome. Thanks. I actually do have a food grade bucket. Never even thought about it. Thanks again.

If you can, try to minimize splashing between the bucket and pot. Hot side aeration is debated on here.... not really knowing how big a deal it is, I just tried to minimize it when I transferred but didnt sweat it if I couldn't.

Boiling a 5 gallon batch in a 6.5 gallon pot is going to be impossible. You will need about 6.5 gallons pre-boil to achieve 5 gallons to the fermenter. You may want to start out with 4 gallon batches, or buy a bigger pot.

forstmeister said:
Boiling a 5 gallon batch in a 6.5 gallon pot is going to be impossible. You will need about 6.5 gallons pre-boil to achieve 5 gallons to the fermenter. You may want to start out with 4 gallon batches, or buy a bigger pot.

Agree. Forgot to mention that when I started I did 1/2 batches until I got used to it. A bigger pot was the first thing I upgraded though. You can find economy pots at 9 gallons with a weld for a valve for around $70 I think. Well worth it if you have the cash.

You could try a BIAB in your keggle, that is plenty big for a 5 gallon batch, you could start with 7ish gallons (depending on your grain bill) and not need to worry about using 2 vessels. I just went to AG this way and love it so far.

transamguy77 said:
you could try a biab in your keggle, that is plenty big for a 5 gallon batch, you could start with 7ish gallons (depending on your grain bill) and not need to worry about using 2 vessels. I just went to ag this way and love it so far.

+1

Back