First all-grain batch complete

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MDbrewing

Reaction score
OK, so I finished my first all-grain batch today. I missed my mash temp by 4 degrees and ended with 150 instead of 154. I had a preboil gravity of 1.046 for 7g and an original gravity of 1.060 for 6g going into the carboy after a 1 hour boil. If I understand things right that gives me an efficiency of 82.76%. I was expecting only 65% or so being the first time and all. As far as missing my mash temp I know what I did wrong and what to change for next time.

This was batch sparging and crushing my grains at home for the first time using a JSP mill.

MDbrewing said:
OK, so I finished my first all-grain batch today. I missed my mash temp by 4 degrees and ended with 150 instead of 154. I had a preboil gravity of 1.046 for 7g and an original gravity of 1.060 for 6g going into the carboy after a 1 hour boil. If I understand things right that gives me an efficiency of 82.76%. I was expecting only 65% or so being the first time and all. As far as missing my mash temp I know what I did wrong and what to change for next time.

This was batch sparging and crushing my grains at home for the first time using a JSP mill.

Well- it sounds like it went well! Congrats on coming over to the dark side!

wouldn't worry about 150F for mash temp. that's still a decent balance between the two enzyme ranges.

As malkore pointed out, that little difference in the temp won't matter. It is still in the range of both enzymes and one (beta) may be favored a tad over alpha, but it won't be by much. What's the next AG gonna be?

Congrats... I know I felt really good about surviving my first AG batch... now that I've done a few, feels like a 'well oiled machine' with my procedures. Very, very enjoyable.

Next batch is going to be a kolsch or a blonde. I want to keep things simple until I get comfortable with everything and keep the wife happy too.

Back