First AG today...iodine converstion test question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcarmack

Reaction score
I've had my first AG (an Oktoberfest) mashing for about 25 minutes now. I went to do an iodine test, but I'm not seeing any purple. I noticed this when I did my one and only partial mash too, no purple even though it's too soon for full conversion (I think, anyway).

So here's my stupid n00b question: I just noticed that what I bought at Wal-Mart, iodides tincture, says it is decolorized iodine. Is that the problem, did I just quickly buy the wrong stuff that has no ability to turn purple in the first place? (Doh!)

I've had my first AG (an Oktoberfest) mashing for about 25 minutes now. I went to do an iodine test, but I'm not seeing any purple. I noticed this when I did my one and only partial mash too, no purple even though it's too soon for full conversion (I think, anyway).

So here's my stupid n00b question: I just noticed that what I bought at Wal-Mart, iodides tincture, says it is decolorized iodine. Is that the problem, did I just quickly buy the wrong stuff that has no ability to turn purple in the first place? (Doh!)

When there is no starch in the sample, iodine remains the same color it is which is dark reddish. When there is starch, it gets darker like black/purple.

If your iodine isn't iodine colored, then it wouldn't be a valid test. Although, it certainly IS possible to have conversion in 25 minutes with today's highly modified malts I'd probably go with a full hour to be sure.

Although, it certainly IS possible to have conversion in 25 minutes with today's highly modified malts I'd probably go with a full hour to be sure.

Yep, that was what I was going to do. Just wanted to get confirmation that I need different iodine, which I think I do. Like I said, n00b problem...but making mistakes is how we learn, I suppose. :)

Never done an iodine test. I've seen too many people messing with it and getting false readings. Too much stress. And as Yooper pointed out, todays malts are ready to go.

I just taste test at 30 60 and if it needs it 90 minutes. I figure if I can't taste starch in the thick mash, I certainly won't notice it after I water it down with the sparge, hot break, hop it, irish moss it, cold break, ferment and cold crash and fizz it up...

Back