First AG success

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theonetrueruss

Reaction score
So I brewed my first AG a few weeks ago. It was only a 1.044 OG pale amber ale with plenty of hops. Sat in the primary for the first week where it went down to 1.01. Moved it to secondary to dry hop. I had some drama that night and lost a gallon or so of it and opened myself up to some possible infections...

I pushed forward since the only way is forward... a week later I bottled it. (I want to be able to drink next weekend and that left a couple weeks for conditioning.)

It was pretty harsh at that point... a bit more hops floating in the beer than I would have liked at that point. It's my first time dry hopping with pellets... probably stick to using whole leaf for dry hopping in the future.. but I digress...

So I bottled and let it sit for a week. Last night I put one in the firdge to chill just to try today to see if things were progressing. I was expecting things to taste a little green but be mostly carbonated..

To my surprise things had cleared up VERY nicely by this afternoon when I opened the bottle. About as clear as I could ask for without finnings. Had to be careful because the sediment wasn't very compacted but it pored clean, was carbonated and though tasted just a little green.. it was VERY drinkable and should be absolutely great in another week when it's getting served at my post thanksgiving feast.

Yeah! So my 1st AG is a success and I have my next one sitting in my closet waiting to be bottled. It's been there for a couple of weeks. It'll have to wait at least a couple more before I can bottle it. Looking forward to it. I think I'll go check it's gravity today. I haven't checked it's SG since putting it in fermenter 2 weeks ago. Started at 1.09.. I wonder where it is now?

:)

Congrats on your 1st successful AG. I just did my 1st AG on Thursday and it is sitting in the fermenter now bubbling nicely. Looking forward to bottling and cracking.

Dry hopping with pellets is fine, you need to let it settle out. Much easier to get in and out of carboys that way.

I have my first two AG batches sitting on yeast downstairs, need to keg one and secondary-dry-hop another, I am sure they are great, though. The Celebration clone smelled wonderful. (The "oops" beer was my "cream of three crops" brew where I accidentally doubled the grain bill--my brother says I made malt liquor, but . . LOL . . I LIKE malt liquor.)

Back