First AG - Embarrassing noob question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HorribleCatfish

Reaction score
So I did my first AG this weekend, and confess to never having tasted the wort prior to fermenting until now. It tasted pretty sweet, and is fermenting away, so I'm pretty sure I got at least semi-decent conversion. My question is, it also tasted pretty grainy...is that normal?

I think it tastes sweet and bitter at the same time (since you can taste the harsh bitterness from the hops, and also the sweet wort) but I've never thought of it as "grainy". Of course, it makes sense that it would taste grainy, because of how it's made. Maybe I just never thought of it that way!

Some grains also taste more grainy than others, if that makes sense. What was your recipe? How did it go for you? My first one went pretty smoothly, after all the reading I did here on HBT, but I was very nervous about how it would come out!

I've gotten "grainy" from wort before. I think you get it from lighter colored beer. I tasted the wort from Edwort's IPA I just brewed. Aside from sweet and extremely bitter, it also tasted a bit grainy.

I think it tastes sweet and bitter at the same time (since you can taste the harsh bitterness from the hops, and also the sweet wort) but I've never thought of it as "grainy". Of course, it makes sense that it would taste grainy, because of how it's made. Maybe I just never thought of it that way!

Some grains also taste more grainy than others, if that makes sense. What was your recipe? How did it go for you? My first one went pretty smoothly, after all the reading I did here on HBT, but I was very nervous about how it would come out!

It was BlindLemonLars squeeze My Lemon Summer Blonde:

Amount Item
5.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
2.00 lb Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM)
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)
0.25 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM)
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (60 min)
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (10 min)
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (0 min)
1.00 Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 10.0 min)
2.00 oz Fresh Lemon Zest (Boil 5.0 min)
1 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04)

It went pretty smooth except for when I ordered the grain bill, I left off the crystal, because I have some on hand...of course that only works when you remember to add it on brew day. Oh well...perhaps the wife will like it more this way...

This is going to be a long 6 weeks.

I always taste my samples too, but I'm not sure what I have really learned from it. ;)

I have found that a smalllish alteration to a recipe can make a larger difference to the taste of the wort than I would have expected. Until all those flavours come together it seems like they are having a fight for supremacy in your mouth. Sweet always winning.

Back