First AG Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbaker33

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have all of my equipment delivered now, except for the barley crusher I will be getting at the brewshop when I get my grains, just need to settle on a recipe. It being my first AG brew, I'm looking for something relatively simple. I also wanted to try and formulate my own recipe (with help from some samples I found around here) so here goes.

8# Pale 2-Row (how much does UK vs. US matter?)
2# Munich Malt
1/2# Crystal 10L

1 oz. Cascade at 60 min.
.5 oz Cascade at 30 min.
.25 oz Cascade at 15 min.
.25 oz Cascade 5 min.

What do people think?

Also, when I get my Barley Crusher, is adjustment really necessary? I think my LHBS grinds WAY too fine (there is like flower in my bag usually), but I don't really have anything to compare it too. What should my grind look like after I run a pound or two through as a test?

Thanks,

Mark

I have quite a bit of flour in my crush, too, and it's never caused me any problems. I have no stuck runoffs and I get great efficiency.

I have quite a bit of flour in my crush, too, and it's never caused me any problems. I have no stuck runoffs and I get great efficiency.

Thanks Denny. The LHBS has an electric mill, not a crusher, so I'm not able to get the numbers or anything from it, I guess that's part of my question. I hear a lot of people adjusting them, so I'm just trying to figure out why I would want to adjust the rollers, if that makes sense.

From what I've heard having the dial at 1 o'clock vs the manufactures 12 o'clock is the way to go. I ususally just grab a handful of crushed grain and make sure I dont have any uncracked grains. I typciall make sure their split, rather than just cracked, but thats just me.

Latest posts

Back