First AG brew - need help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve44

Reaction score
First AG Brew went Hairy - Stuck Sparge - got panicked and strained the grains rather then sparged. Anyway, OG was taken in boiling pot (10 gal) from top, so I cannot trust it...was 1.03. In fermentor and is bubbling but no krausen (5days) American Pale Ale. Also is extremely cloudly so I cannot see if there is sediment on bottom. I am going to take a reading tomorrow from the middle of the bucket. Not sure what I am looking for. Any suggestions would help.

Let's get some quick info:
What temp. did you take the 10 Gallon OG at and did you convert it to represent a 60 F degree reading? How much boil-off did you get and did you take a OG before pitching the yeast?

Don't be concerned about the cloudiness at this point; there is a lot of yeast in suspension and it won't clear up until after fermentation is completed.

Temp was 90..so I am reporting the 1.03 after the convert. because I panick with a stuck sparge, I added 2.5 gallons prior to the boil to bring my total to approx 10 gallons for fermentation. The reading above was prior to pitching. I pitched the yeast at the reccomended 75 degrees. but it was probbably more like 80. There are air bubbles in the lock and bigger bubbles on top of the beer, but no fluffy krausen Like I've seen online. I don't want to ruin the beer if it is at all salvagable. so not sure if I am being to anxious taking a reading this weekend. I hoped to have my first AG beer on 7/4

was that OG reading post-boil? if so, then it doesn't matter where it was taken, its a pretty homogenous mix at that point unless you added even more water. what was your recipe?

Yes, post boil. But will I ruin whatever I have if I take a reading too soon. or since it is bubling shoud I leave it undisturbed for another week. After a boil, during a cool down, in a 10 gallon pot, the sugars would be even thoughout the pot?

Yes, post boil. But will I ruin whatever I have if I take a reading too soon. or since it is bubling shoud I leave it undisturbed for another week. After a boil, during a cool down, in a 10 gallon pot, the sugars would be even thoughout the pot?

the boil should have mixed it all evenly. if it's still actively fermenting I don't see a point in taking a reading. im not sure what you'd be hoping to learn from it.

I was pretty stressed out with my first all-grain batch; the best thing to do is just relax and try to follow your original game plan to make sure that everything gets done properly and if anything bad happens you will not get too stressed out. And of course, RDWHAHB.
Well, right now, if you end up with a FG of 1.008 you'll have a brew of about 2.85% ABV. It might be more like a Michelob Ultra than an APA.
Could you post your grain bill and the type of equipment you are using?

I am anxious to take a reading, to see if I should rack early or not. If my OG reading was flawed, then wouldn't an early reading show that I have more/less time to complete fermentation? Any way, would like to know if I should dump and start over.

I will post my grain bill later (I do not have it front of me). I am using a homemade (sanke keg) three teir gravity system. I bought the bayou classic burners so I did not miss temps/rests, etc.

I dont think theres any reason to dump this. If the OG reading is correct and the low ABV is unacceptable to you, you can always feed in some extract or some concentrated wort to bump it up. I still don't see a point in taking a reading at this point, but your more than welcome to. I'd just leave it in the primary for 2-3 weeks and then keg/bottle it.

thanks..pretty helpful. I am new to brewing and as much as I have read and re-read on the how-to's, it is impossible to have everything go perfectly. this site definitely helps

Latest posts

Back