First AG Brew 2/18 (tomorrow!)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coredumpster

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Alrighty, getting ready for my first attempt at going AG tomorrow.

Last weekend's brew was a partial mash, testing out my newly modified Igloo MLT, and it worked great. Tomorrow, I'll be testing it out for the first time with a full grain bill! :ban:

Planning to do a Goose Island Green Line Pale Ale clone ( or close to it ).

6.0 lb Maris Otter Pale
2.0 lb 2 row
1.0 lb Vienna Malt
0.75 lb Wheat Flakes

Mash at 154 for an hour, single batch sparge.

60 min full boil

1oz Amarillo @ 60m
.5oz Columbus @ 10m
.5oz Simcoe @ 5m
.5oz Cascade @ 1m

Wyeast 1056 American Ale

I overestimated my boil-off rate last weekend (also first time doing a full boil with new BK) and missed my OG by a couple points, but now I know what to expect, and should have it dialed in pretty well for tomorrow.

Thanks to all who have posted the various how-to guides, pictorials, and videos and answered questions. You've taken a lot of the fear out of going AG, and I actually feel pretty confident that I know that I'm doing well enough to fake it tomorrow. :mug:

-Chris

How many gallons is your recipe and what is the expected OG? Looks a little light for a 5 gallon batch, but then again I'm not sure what you are shooting for.

Good luck! :mug:

Target OG is 1.050, and is what I get from BeerTools software when I plug in the numbers, and crank efficiency down ( to give myself some room for error ). Around 4.5%-5% ABV, and it's a pretty "pale" ale. On the low end of the BJCP guidelines for APA.

This is a 5 gallon batch.

If I totally blow the mash extraction, then I have a backup of 1lb of Pale DME to bring the OG back up to the expected range pre-boil.

Back