First AG beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rs3902

Reaction score
I've got my equipment in order, and I'm going to try my first all grain brew very soon. I want to keep things simple so I can get the basics down, here's what I have:

6# 2 row
5# rye
1# Munich

Single step mash all grains for 1 hour at 154.
Batch sparge

Any advice at all about that grain bill, or suggestions on hops would be greatly appreciated! Also any advice on the mash or sparging would be great! Thanks!

P.s I found the gist of this recipe in the recipe database under rye pale ale. I'm here because I am looking for tips and advice. Thanks again!

Your rye is on the high side, for me but I like less than 30% rye. You may also have a pretty sticky mash that requires some stirring, and the same with your sparge (even batch sparging). Replacing 2# of rye with 2# of 2-row would get you to around 25%, but if you've had a beer that you liked with this much rye, it should be doable. Roggenbier can have up to 60% rye. People have definitely made 100% rye beers that were drinkable, so there's nothing wrong with this recipe. What yeast/hops were you thinking?

One bit of advice: RICE HULLS

Any good flavor/aroma hop will be fine in a pale ale. For bittering use whatever you want, preferrably with a high alpha content to use less.

Thanks for the tips, I'll tone down the rye a bit.
I was thinking about some combination goldings and cascade hops. Any insight into when those additions should be?

I was Planning on a kölsch yeast. ( a local brew pub makes a rye ale with kölsch yeast)

As for rice hulls, They will just make my mash more workable right? How much should I add?

As for rice hulls, They will just make my mash more workable right? How much should I add?

Take a handful, rinse them in a fine strainer like you would grapes, and put them in the mash. They'll prevent a stuck sparge and generally make things a bit less sticky.

I would do...

8# pale 2-row
3# rye (malt, not flaked)
1# Munich

with a 75% brewhouse efficiency and a 5 gallon batch, that should get you a target SG of 1.053. or an ABV of 5.7%

Your hops combo would be fine...

I'd try....

Cascade - 1oz 60 minutes boil
Goldings - 0.5oz 30 minutes boil
Cascade - 0.5oz 5 minutes boil
Dry hop 1 oz Goldings for 7 days.

This should give you an IBU of around 34.5

Use a nice American Pale Ale Yeast and this should rock!

This is nice and simple... the best kind of recipe. Use whole leaf hops if you can get them (versus pellets).

Latest posts

Back