First AG Batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad

Reaction score
So I started into the world of AG brewing. I ordered the liberty cream ale kit from midwest supplies and followed the instructions and the all grain videos I could find online and on here. It suggest letting it sit for about 5 months to be prime and perfectly aged. I am looking into my secondary fermenter and noticing that it is not clear at all is that common in AG? The beer has been sitting for almost 2 months already. Also the level has dropped quite a bit so I am under 5 gallons is there any way to keep your beer from evaporating over a long period of time or am I just best off to do quick beer batches like it sounds like most people do the 30 day beers?

I doubt you beer is evaporating through the airlock. Probably just stuff settling out (or being reabsorbed), or a drop in temp. is reducing volume.

5 months huh, wow, doubt I could last that long. But I'm neither a lager or lagered ale fan. If you are not keeping it at lager temps, I would bottle it and drink it ASAP.

Damn, 5 months seems like a really long time for a Cream Ale. Are you sure about that?

Perceived evaporation could be some of the yeast and other stuff in your beer settling to the bottom.

I would bottle it up now. Cream ale doesn't take that long to condition. I would cold crash it to make it clearer.

So what is a good rule of thumb for how long to condition your beer are there different cases for different beers. Still new to this and am just trying to make the best it can be homebrew. Is there really a difference from four weeks to six weeks?

So what is a good rule of thumb for how long to condition your beer are there different cases for different beers. Still new to this and am just trying to make the best it can be homebrew. Is there really a difference from four weeks to six weeks?

For most "regular" ales, 2-3 weeks in the fermenter is adequate. By regular, I mean fairly low ABV (not a 11% monster), and nothing added to it later like dryhops, extra honey, fruit, etc.

If it's not clear, it could be for several reasons. One is incomplete conversion during the mash, which would result in a starch haze. Others could be inadequate hot break during the boil, inadequate cold break during chilling, etc. I use a whirlfloc tablet in the boil with 15 minutes left, and find that my wort is much clearer than it used to be.

The good news is that a non-clear beer is usually simply cosmetic, so bottle it up and enjoy it!

I'm very surprised that they would recommend a 5 month secondary for a cream ale, unless they are telling you to cold condition it in a fridge for several months. Those instructions don't seem to make any sense at all.

For most "regular" ales, 2-3 weeks in the fermenter is adequate. By regular, I mean fairly low ABV (not a 11% monster), and nothing added to it later like dryhops, extra honey, fruit, etc.

So basicaly once fermentation is done it is usually good to go you don't have to condition at all?

So basicaly once fermentation is done it is usually good to go you don't have to condition at all?

Sometimes yes and sometimes no. Lagers, for instance, need to spend considerable time conditioning near the freezing point before they're ready. Highly alcoholic beers, belgian strong ales and imperial stouts for example, can sit for a year and only improve with age much the same way as wine. Other beers, IPA's and amber ales for example, are ready to go the moment they're fully carbonated. It all depends on the beer my friend.

For a cream ale, here's what I would do. I wouldn't use a secondary. Put it in a 6 gallon carboy for 3 weeks. I would cold crash during during week 4. 38 degrees or so should do the trick. So that is 4 weeks. After week 4 I would rack it to a keg or a bottling buck with your priming sugar. If you really want to geek out, filter to your keg or bottling bucket! :mug:

Latest posts

Back