First AG Barleywine in the bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MartyB

Reaction score
Bottled a 4-gal batch of my variation of the 090909 Barleywine yesterday.

No haven't moved to kegging yet. I don't mind bottling at all. I've got a process that works for me. It's 5-weeks old, been at a stable gravity for 2 weeks now. And smells incredible, but still a powerful bitter. Hopefully I can stash these and keep my hands off them until 2011!

And for those who have sharp eyes (I know you're out there), yes, those are all reused twist-off Boulevard bottles. My Colona bench corker/capper puts a solid seal on those. Tight enough I can't twist them off with my bare hands.
Somebody needs to make an "I love my Colona" bumper sticker.

bw-bottled.jpg

Tell you what, I've been kegging beers for years now, and I still will put barleywines only in bottles. I find it's better for me to bottle them, stash 'em in the basement for a year or so and forget about 'em until they're ready and aged. I've got one barleywine that's from '06, one from '07, and another that's an '09, all in bottles. Big beers need big time, and I find it easier to give them that if they're in bottles. They'd disappear to quick if they were in a keg!

Congrats on your first AG barleywine. Trust me, let them age --if you can!

I pulled out an 8 month old barley wine. I guess I capped it a little crooked and it lost it's seal, but it was better than the carbed ones I had months ago. I need to get another one in the cellar.

Brewed this batch on my birthday, so calling it "Bigneck's Big Bad Birthday Barleywine". Going to try and make it an annual thing. So hopefully in a few years, I'll be able to compare differences between batches that are aged in yearly increments.

Back