first AG and big beer. high FG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew2enjoy

Reaction score
For my first all grain I did the DFH 90 minute IPA in the recipe section. Everything went very well on brew day. Fermentation was strong and very active. I used WLP007 which is known for being an excellent flocculater. It did just that after about 10 days in the primary. It dropped out like concrete leaving the beer crystal clear. My concern is that the gravity is 1.022. OG was 1.081. I mashed in the 151-152 area and pitched a 3 liter starter. Is this an acceptable FG for an Imperial IPA? I planned to transfer to secondary and begin the dryhopping schedule today.

IMG_20120107_162055.jpg

Sample smelled and tasted amazing

I would like to see it ferment a little further however it is sort-of close, I'd check it in another week and maybe swirl the yeast a little, was this extract?, oh nm, I missed the AG part.

If it taste good, do your thing. Some IIPAs are designed to be malty and some are not. I take it you used this recipe?

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/dogfish-head-90-minute-clone-260675/

If so, the FG is only a couple of points off.

Yes that is the recipe. Being that 90 minute is a little on the malty side, I'm not too worried. I just thought I should get some opinions before I do anything. I gave it a gentle swirl and raised the temp up to 70 last night. Maybe I'll give it a few more days and see if I can get it to drop a point or two.

Back