Firken Best Bitter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weiht

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
wlp007
Yeast Starter
Yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
1042-1044
Final Gravity
1010-1012
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
25-30
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7-10
Tasting Notes
See below
3.4kg Maris Otter
900g Munich Malt (Better if you use British Munich)

Hops
50g Fuggles 60mins
30g Willamette 20-30mins steep at 80c
30g Styrian Goldings 20-30mins steep at 80c

This is a cracker of a session pale ale. You get the signature nutty character of the maris otter, and the munich adds a slight biscuity and malty backbone. For hops, I like fuggles best for the earthy and firm bitterness profile, and a blend of the spicy and blackcurrant willamette and lemony styrian goldings. For the blend of hops, you can add it at flame out as a whirlpool addition as well, but i prefer to steep it at 80c for 20 to 30 mins so most of the volatile oils are still there and little isomerisation takes place.

Yeast, I use WLP007 as its neutral and allows the hops to come through. It attenuates well, and I can proceed to mash higher at 67c which adds body to it.

WLP002 can also be used, but you have to mash lower at 65c to ensure that it attenuates well as that yeast tends to go to sleep real early. It leaves a residual sweetness and tend to mask hop aromas in favour as the yeast has a distinct fruity character, so it doesnt go well with this beer where the hops are brilliant.

Its a real pleasant session ale and best served and consume 12c.. Standard british carbonation is important as well.

If you try it, please leave some feedback.. Maybe we can improve it :)

Back