Firearms

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EdWort said:
Hmmmm. Guns & Beer.....Hmmmmm

Any AR-15 owners out there. (besides Copperhed :D)

2 AR-15

Others
1 mini14
Sig - P239
Ruger - Single six, 22/45
Springfield Armory Mil-Spec 1911A1
Taurus 9mm
Ruger 10/22
Marlin inline .50 cal muzzle loader, 30/30
Model 98 German Mauser sporterized after the war - dad's old hunter (art)
Remington 798 300 Win mag (the portable howitzer)

I apply each year to hunt mule deer, elk, and usually oryx. You have not eaten until you try oryx. I use the 300 win mag for the big game (elk, oryx) - 4.5 X 14 Nikon scope, and the 8mm Mauser for deer - 3xp Leupold.
For all the hunting I will reload all my own ammo - (my other hobby)

I have hunted my whole life. Have a few guns right now.

Ruger 10/22, plus 2 old bolt action .22's
Sako TRGS 30-378 Weatherby Mag
Savage .270 WSM
Marlin 30-30
Remington 870, plus old single shot 12 gauge
Sears 20 gauge pump
Winchester Ranger 20 gauge auto
TC Omega .50
CVA .45 inline
CVA .50 sidelock
Glock 23
Ruger Blackhawk .357 mag
my grandpa's el cheapo .380 acp
my uncle's M1 Garand is in my safe right now:D
might order a CMMG AR15 Tuesday:rockin:
I'm sure I might be forgetting something.

WVHeep said:
might order a CMMG AR15 Tuesday:rockin:

Which one? Are you going to get all the now legal goodies...you know for bayonet charges. AR15 are great fun. I have a slick side, sp-1, from the late 60's (as far as I can tell) - Colt with an olympic lower, and a new 2004 olymipic.

I have a marlin .22 bolt rifle, and a Glock 20. I love the 10mm.

I would like to try building one of the muzzle loader kits, just for kicks. My dad had an old .44 black powder revolver that was a blast. Messy, but fun.

How on earth did I miss this thread for so long?

My modest collection:

Collection1.jpg

Rifles: Top to bottom

1. Mossberg 500 12g
2. Browning A-bolt 30-06 w Burris 3X9 scope
3. Ruger 10/22
4. Yugoslavian AK-47 Underfolder

Handguns: Left to Right

5. Taurus .357 mag. My everyday carry.
6. Glock 20 10mm w 6" Lone Wolf bbl. My woods protection.
7. Glock 21 45acp. Primary home defense piece.

Stuff to get real soon:

1. Another "scary" looking sport shooter in 5.56mm
2. Another wheel gun. Probably Ruger Alaskan in .454 Casull
3. Nice 1911. Im thinking Springfield Armory TRP.

MikeFlynn74 said:
Have you looked at the SIG 1911s?

Yeah and they are sweet. Just dont know if I like them better than the TRPs. The rails kinda annoy me. Just something about the SAs that I really like. I dont think I could go wrong with either gun though.

Im really waitin on that FN SCAR to hit the civilian market at the end of the year.

Ahh nice- I love SIG. I have a nice SAS at home and here they make me carry the POS beretta. Thing is garbage

MikeFlynn74 said:
Ahh nice- I love SIG. I have a nice SAS at home and here they make me carry the POS beretta. Thing is garbage

Yeah I just dont understand why they make yall tote the Beretta. Or the M-16 for that matter. If I had my way, Uncle Sam would at the very least give you a Glock 17 and a 5.56 with a gas piston system. Screw that direct impingement crap. Ive never been in combat but have shot plenty of AR's enough to know that, after a few mags, if you dont field strip it and clean out the gunk, good luck chambering the next round. Bolt just isnt heavy enough. Needs a piston. I like the HK416. Stay safe out there.

Yea the newer M4s dont have the issues like the old ones. Glocks are great, cheap and reliable. The Israelis have a new assault rifle thats apparently the cats ass.

Id still rather have a SIG given the option! lol

bru-er said:
Which one? Are you going to get all the now legal goodies...you know for bayonet charges. AR15 are great fun. I have a slick side, sp-1, from the late 60's (as far as I can tell) - Colt with an olympic lower, and a new 2004 olymipic.

I'm gonna order one of their bargain bin rifles. Probably the 20" HBAR.

WVHeep said:
I'm gonna order one of their bargain bin rifles. Probably the 20" HBAR.

Nothing wrong with that. Both of mine are the 20". My old one is the light barrel which is a lot lighter than the standard heavy. As long as you have the complete rifle you can change it as your heart desires later. If you get the flat top with the detach handle you can do anything.

Been away from HBT for a long time and stumbled across this thread....thought I'd post pics of my new baby. Got her this winter (the Christmas bonus fairy was very generous last year)

Pedersoli 1874 Sharps Silhouette model in .45-70. It has a vernier tang sight and is incredibly accurate for a 130+ year old design. Seeing those steel rams go flying a few hundred yards downrange is about the most satisfying thing I've ever done. That 500 grain bullet takes a long time to get there, but when it does it speaks with authority.:rockin:

sharps.jpg

I'm morally opposed to firearms and think every situation can be resolved with a hug...

Nice, I wish you didn't have to pay the stupid $200 tax on suppressors. I can see how they would be a nice addition to any gun. I think a lot of places in Europe more or less require them, to cut down on noise pollution.

Yeah the tax doubled the price, but it's still a neat toy, and I no longer worry about disturbing the neighbors with my target practice.

From what I've heard you can buy them at hardware stores in New Zealand.

I have a Bushmaster AR-15, a Mossberg 500 12 gauge and a Glock 9. I havent been shooting in 4 1/2 years after my son was born. I do keep them clean though. I want to get an AR-10 next and get back to shooting.

I love butt ugly old military rifles, and had a C&R license for awhile, but never used it.
I don't hunt any more, just like to put little holes in paper as close together as possible.

Mosin Nagant 91/30
Romanian Trainer .22
Custom Ruger 10/22 (set up for pinshooting)
Custom Ruger Mark II (set up for pinshooting)
Kimber Custom II .45 (pride and joy)
Mossberg 500 12g (goes nowhere but beside the bed)
CZ 452 Varmint .22
Savage Model 10 Tactical .223

Need to add:
AK variant
AR variant
Remington 700 .308

If you are into rimfires of any kind this is the site for you: http://rimfirecentral.com
Bowling pin shooting: http://pinblasters.tripod.com/

I guess I'll list here:

Remington Model 740 .30-06 was my dad's deer gun.
Steven's .22 bolt was my mom's brothers gun before he died in Vietnam.
Savage .22 semi-auto was my dad's rabbit/squirrel gun.
Ruger 10/22 was my dad's I bought for him when he gave me the Savage.
Mossberg .22 bolt (single?) my grandpas. not sure if this works...
Ruger Blackhawk Single Six .22/MAG 10" revolver. Dad's "other" small game gun
.300 Savage 1899C chambered in .303 Savage. Grandpa's Deer gun made around 1908.
Browning A5 Auto 12 Ga. Dad's newer bird gun.
Winchester Model 1887 Lever-action 12 Gauge shotgun. Blackpowder era. Annie Oakley used one in her Wild West shows Exact age not known.

I think that's it...

Oh, and a Colt New Army Revolver REPLICA Blackpowder pistol I put together from a kit, and a 1861 Navy my brother-in-law put together. Need to clean that up and give it back to him...

I had a lever action 30-30 for awhile that I loved. Shooting it reminded me of old western movies, but it didn't have the range need in eastern Montana. Had to get a .270. Anyone deer hunt on the prairie? It is a whole different ball game compared to hunting in the woods. I have know idea how you all can sit in a tree all day.

I'm with you. I hunt the open fields and canyons of SE WA and a 400yd shot is pretty common.

My main hunting rifle is a 7mm MAG. Its a pre 64 Winchester Model 70 (best rifle ever made) with a Leupold VX II 3x9 scope.

7mmMAG.jpg

Got this nice 4x4 in '06.

4x4.jpg

And this Elk last year at 560 yards.

Elk07.jpg

That's not too difficult a shot actually. This is a five shot group at 300 meters with an M16A2 with iron sites.

zero.jpg

My other rifle is a 1943 Carcano 6.5mm. It's the same rifle Oswald used.

After 9/11 I was one of those National Guard troops guarding the airports. We had a guy pull a knife on a screener so I had to draw my weapon on him. Fortunately he realized he'd brought a knife to a gunfight and gave up pretty quickly.

Are you sure that's a 300 meter group and not a 25 meter zero group? You're exceeding what most people can do with a more accurate bolt rifle, a good scope, a bench rest, and match ammo. That was (apparently) done with a service rifle, service ammo, open sights, and at a distance of over 300 yards?

Are you sure that's a 300 meter group and not a 25 meter zero group? You're exceeding what most people can do with a more accurate bolt rifle, a good scope, a bench rest, and match ammo. That was (apparently) done with a service rifle, service ammo, open sights, and at a distance of over 300 yards?

OK, I fudged a little. It is a 25 meter target designed to simulate a 300 meter target. Yes it takes out much of the trajectory and it eliminates windage, but it is still a helluva shot group. Most guys have a hard time getting three in the black let alone 5 in the same spot.

And you gotta admit even a big bull Elk at 560 yds is a pretty good shot, espacially when I'm using just a standard crosshair scope. Wasn't sure I hit him the first time since he was moving but he stopped and looked at me after, long enough to chamber a second round and squeeze it off. I saw the dust from that one but he was too stupid to know he was dead. Tracked him for almost a mile before he ended up in the woodline near an old logging road. Took my brother a couple of hours to get to his rig and drive around. The rack wouldn't even fit in his truck. We had to skin him in my brothers machine shop 'cuz he was too big for the cold room.

I never shot anything more than a .22 at Boyscout camp. I grew up in Chicago where only criminals were allowed to have handguns. Now fate has found me a little farther out in Illinois where, I am told, handguns are legal, but I'm not too keen on carrying one because, not living in the city anymore, I don't so much see the need. Ironic, innit?

Anyway, so I never had a reason to get a gun and never had the opportunity to hunt. But I've said to SWMBO on numerous occasions that I think it'd be an interesting thing to do... even if only once... just to see where meat comes from and get some tasty sausage out of the deal. I guess I'm just a country boy at heart (the rednecks were my friends in college...)

So how does one go about this? One of the things on my to-do-before-I-die list is falconry. Oddly enough, a FOID card is a requirement for falconry, since it's a requirement for a hunting permit, which is a requirement for possessing a bird of prey that hunts and kills wild game. Figure that one out! So anyway, I've been tempted to get the card, but to be honest, I'd be lost in the woods after that...

Any good resources for newbs like me? Or should I just stay the hell outta the forest? :cross:

Any good resources for newbs like me? Or should I just stay the hell outta the forest?

Most ranges will let you rent guns- Find a range near you and see what they got. Have a friend with a few guns? Ask him to show you around. Knowing how each particular gun operates is very important.
Rules
1. Consider the gun to always be loaded.
2. Never point at anything you dont intend to shoot.
3. Go back to rule 1.

If you are looking at handguns- IMO
.40 or 9mm Glock or Springfield XDs
1911 (almost any manufacture) for a 45
for bigger guns like 357/41/44 mags Ruger or S&W you cant go wrong
454 is extremely powerful

You can never go wrong with Sig Saur for any gun Kimber makes great ones too

Take a hunters safety course. That'd be a nice easy intro. And MikeFlynn makes an excellent point mentioning those rules. Similar but different to rule #2 is "muzzle awareness". Some people are completely oblivious to where they are pointing their firearms...they'll use the thing to gesture in conversation...and you're trying to find cover! It should ALWAYS be downrange or pointed up (some prefer straight down...but I personally wouldn't want a hole in my foot). When hunting birds, pick a 90 degree "sector" to shoot in....otherwise you may cross over into your buddy's space and pull a Dick Cheney :D

I did a lot of hunting when I was younger and put plenty of meat in thr freezer and cashed in a lot of coon and fox pelts, but when I got a bit older, my passion was more about accuracy shooting, and loading my own ammo for this purpose.

Myself and a good friend used to trek to the Rosebud Indian Reservation every year to shoot prairie dogs. I hand loaded 700 round for each of us for our .220 Swifts and another 300 for my .222 and 300 for my Ruger Model 1 .223. We camped out on the prairie for a week and shot THOUSANDS of these varmints! My best shot was a young one that was about the size of a soda can, I shot him from 450 metres on a cool, calm morning, using my Outer's varmint rest and a sturdy shooting table. One shot, one EXPLODED Prairie Dog. It made the hand loading and hours or dialing in and learning my rifle and my rounds all worthwhile

OK, I fudged a little. It is a 25 meter target designed to simulate a 300 meter target. Yes it takes out much of the trajectory and it eliminates windage, but it is still a helluva shot group.

Trajectory and Windage are what 300+ metre shots are all about. I can easily place a 5 shot group like that at 50 metres with a rimfire...all day long and easily keep them all in the black at 100 with my modified HB 10/22

I'll keep them all in the black at 400 metres with my .220 swift on a cool calm day... when I haven't had a few homebrews the night before ;)

OK, I fudged a little. It is a 25 meter target designed to simulate a 300 meter target. Yes it takes out much of the trajectory and it eliminates windage, but it is still a helluva shot group. Most guys have a hard time getting three in the black let alone 5 in the same spot.

And you gotta admit even a big bull Elk at 560 yds is a pretty good shot, espacially when I'm using just a standard crosshair scope. Wasn't sure I hit him the first time since he was moving but he stopped and looked at me after, long enough to chamber a second round and squeeze it off. I saw the dust from that one but he was too stupid to know he was dead. Tracked him for almost a mile before he ended up in the woodline near an old logging road. Took my brother a couple of hours to get to his rig and drive around. The rack wouldn't even fit in his truck. We had to skin him in my brothers machine shop 'cuz he was too big for the cold room.

I have no doubts that you can shoot... and shoot well. ;) Just wanted to clarify on the 25 meter group.

Back