Finished my motorized mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for your reply. I will probably go the same route.

As I clicked through your build I came across THIS BUILD. I figured I'd post it here since it has good wiring diagrams and mcmaster part numbers.

Thanks.

You think that somewhere like Grainger would have those style rollers? Instead of buying the whole barley crusher?

Honestly, I bet if someone would use a set of calipers to give us the gap and roller size it could be made fairly easy. Get some SS round bar knurled and cut to length... Press in some shafts and mount in some bea
rings. Add a drive system...
The kicker is, you could just buy the darned thing new cheaper than sourcing all the components and fabricating them...

@ Huaco, The price I saw for the crusher was around $100, I can't see rollers being that much, but I have not found them. Talked to someone about an old pizza dough roller that if it gets scapped I could use those rollers and then I could attach a nice large hopped to...

I can't seem to find the motor in stock anywhere. Has anyone had luck finding a comparable motor lately? I'd love a link or any help.

I'm on the same search you are. Here is the item # on Ebay that is the only source I've found. 350446197617 $125 shipped, but best offer option.

I'm on the same search you are. Here is the item # on Ebay that is the only source I've found. 350446197617 $125 shipped, but best offer option.

That appears to be the exact same "second choice" motor that surpluscenter.com was selling for $40. It has 30 in-lb of torque and 106 RPM (I think surplus center listed it as 107, but whatever).

Definitely curious about the motor as well. Really wanting to motorize my Monster Mill. Seeing the parts list above really helps with what i need, so finding a motor for cheap would be awesome.

I have a buddy who put a garage door opener motor on his mill. He said it works fine, and you can probably find those for cheaper than the ebay one.

I would think that perhaps a washing machine motor might also work?

You just need enough torque to move, and RPMs that are not crazy high.

Hi

After seeing this Thread I used the information to motorize my grain mill in the same way. I just used a different switch and way to wire as you can see from my pics below.
I just used wire nuts for the Earth and Neutral wires.
Using a 3 way switch for the forward / reverse operation making it simple to wire as the hot goes to the center of the switch and then from either side of the switch to either side of the capacitor and then to the motor.
This also helped to keep it all neat and tidy in a box on top of the mill stand, which I can unscrew and move the motor to another operation if I need to.
I am thinking I may use the motor to also motorize an apple chopper for a cider press making it interchangeable between apparatus.

Hope this Helps

Sweet! subscribing, hopefully my next project.

Dang, all this time and I still haven't motorized my mill, I procured a motor, it was just repurposed for a sweet Halloween prop I was building... Now to find a new motor to actually motorize my grain mill.

Yah I'm looking for a motor too surplus center doesn't carry that one anymore, so I'm trying to find one that works anyone know of any?

Back