Finished Cider smells sour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toy4Rick

Reaction score
Hey gang,

I have been brewing beer for nearly 5 years now with nearly 150 batches to date. My first cider turned out amazing so i went after batch #2 the same way.

Fermentation took about 3 weeks total and ended up at 1.000. It's been in the keg 8 weeks today and my concern is, it smells and tastes like its sour like it has/is going bad.

Here is the batch/process
5 gals of pasteurized unfiltered no preservatives apple cider from the local health food store (same as the first batch)
Added 4 campden tablets for 24 hours
Added Nottingham - Danstar yeast and about 5 tsp of yeast nutrients
Checked gravity several times along the way as I wanted to stop fermentation at about 1.010 but got busy near the end and missed it, it finished up at 1.000
Kegged it and 2 weeks later, bamm, the sour smell is so bad it's not drinkable. It might be a bit less now at 8 weeks but not sure if it can be saved

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance
Rick

Did u use Notty the first time. I used Notty one year and S-04 the next. while I only notice a subtle difference some knowledgable people have said the Notty leaves an objectionable flavor/odor. Could that be it?

it has a lambic infection. I have found that ciders get infected super easy, especially when fermented in plastic. Now personally, i like the taste, and purposefully will let it go with an infection for a bit, then hit it with a camdon tab. The best way to get away from it, is to #1 ferment in glass, and #2 use fresh yeast. Im enjoying a sour cider right now thats about 11 months old. I like to put a bit of vanilla and concentrated apple juice in it to taste. It deff. gets better with age

The first batch i used SafAle English Ale yeast.

I do use plastic for all my fermentation and I don't think it's infected, just not sure what to think

Should I try and purge the keg every couple of days and see if it starts getting any better?

Any other tips I might consider?

Rick

Cider at 1.000 IS sour (well, tart anyway). All the sugars have been fermented out.

Pour a glass and add a bit of sugar to it. If that fixes the taste, then we can advise you further.

OK, back again,

I bled the co2 from the keg tonight and it smells like rotten eggs, and I must admit, not as bad as it did last week

The aroma of the cider in a glass still smells a bit like rotten eggs as well

I added 1 tsp to 8oz in a glass and it tastes pretty good actually, besides the smell

So, do I have a lambic infection or is this a byproduct of the yeast?
Will it age out?

Thanks again
Rick

It doesnt' sound good.

"Rotten eggs" is H2S.

"sour" is either acetobacter or lactobacillus infection.

Something happened during fermentation or aging- too much headspace? Stressed yeast from lack of nutrients or not racking?

I have no idea, but if you can stomach it, drink it. It wont' get better with aging if either is the case.

Classic Notty H2S "rhino farts", it will fade with time. Charge your keg, shake the crap out it, vent the CO2, and repeat until the H2S is no longer offensive...

Well, I will keep at it and report back in a couple of weeks

Rick

I've only been brewing about a year, but based off my experience I'd have let it set much longer. I rack it once after the initial fermentation has died down, then again after it really has stopped and most of the lees settled. After the second racking, I let it sit until fully clear before bottling. I usually start drinking it at around 3 months.

Back