Fining with gelatin: does it have to dissolve?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giuzep89

Reaction score
Hello friends,
As per thread title: does gelatin have to be completely dissolved in water before adding it to the cider to work well? I didn't manage to really dissolve it and still added it to the ciders I'm making after the fermentation completed. It's been 2 days and I don't see much difference in clarity. Did I mess it up?

How long were your ciders sitting before adding? What temp is the cider?

I let it clear a few weeks after fermentation is complete then move to another vessel (keg/carboy), chill, and add gelatin. Cold and time are your friends here (in fact a lot will clear just from chilling.

How long were your ciders sitting before adding? What temp is the cider?

I let it clear a few weeks after fermentation is complete then move to another vessel (keg/carboy), chill, and add gelatin. Cold and time are your friends here (in fact a lot will clear just from chilling.
Started on Sunday, went dry on Wednesday, added gelatin on Thursday morning. Temperature 20°C. I guess I should get a fridge for cold crashing!

Back