FineExampl's Strong Witbier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I think this recipe...

• this stinks.

• this rocks.

• pork sausage

Results are only viewable after voting.

fineexampl

Reaction score
Extract - FineExampl's Strong Witbier

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe Type: Extract
Yeast: WLP400
Yeast Starter: no
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter: Pasteur Champagne
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.0
Original Gravity: 1.065
Final Gravity: 1.010
IBU: 24.2
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 8.8srm
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 3 weeks
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 4 weeks
Tasting Notes: If you sample this too early it will be sugary sweet and pretty damn vile.

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
8.00 lb Wheat Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 80.00 %
1.00 lb Wheat, Torrified (1.7 SRM) Grain 10.00 %
0.50 oz Hallertauer, New Zealand [8.50 %] (60 min) Hops 13.7 IBU
0.50 oz Hallertauer, New Zealand [8.50 %] (30 min) Hops 10.5 IBU
0.50 oz Hallertauer, New Zealand [8.50 %] (0 min) Hops -
1 tsp Cayenne Pepper (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
0.25 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
0.75 oz Grapefruit Peel (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
0.75 oz Orange Peel, Bitter (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
1.00 oz Camomile (Boil 5.0 min) Misc

This is my first attempt at constructing a recipe and i know i went WAY off the style requirements, but i thought i'd share my recipe.

I intended this to be served at our wedding alongside my Pliny The Elder clone, but it took a long time to ferment and wasn't ready to bottle until after the honeymoon. I know witbiers are supposed to be drank fresh, but the WLP400 too forever to kick in. After 2 weeks in the primary i pitched the champage yeast and let it go one more week. Why? I really don't know my reasoning at the time aside from that it tasted like thick, malty, sugar water. I figured at the very worst it would dry it out a bit, which appeals to me anyway.

I haven't bottled yet, but the sample i took to get my final reading was damn fine stuff! Nice to have the wheat and a higher abv and a kick of the herbs and spices plus a relatively light (for me) hopping. The aroma is very similar to the imported witbiers i've had such as Paulaner and the like.

I'd apppreciate and/all constructive criticism. I'm well aware i'll get a ton of "what ya shoulda done is..." and such, but bring it on. No regrets here aside from not having it when i needed it. Bonus there is i get to drink it all myself. :mug:

edit: I modified the recipe up there as i just noticed i have the chile pepper amount way wrong. half ounce of cayenne?! that's too much. I used about a teaspoon. I also switced the coriander amount from what i had as .75 ounces. i didn't write down how much i used, but it was an average of what would be in a typical witbier.

Oh and BTW...i show torrified wheat as an ingredient. In my brew i didn't have that. I used wheat berries for mine. They seemed to be very similar. If i had to choose again i'd have used spelt though.

i just bottled this today. the uncarbed sample is quite nice and the high abv is very prominent, but by no means overpowering. has a light fruity aroma, almost cidery (unregulated temps here with the season shift), but it's kind of pleasant and i expect it'll improve while conditioning. my nose is kinda of stuffed so it could actually be cider i am smelling as i'm racking a hard cider while tasting. probably just the citrus, coriander, and camomile combining to mess with my aroma perception.

got eight 12oz and twenty-two 22oz bottles from it so no loss. :) Should be ready in time for New Years Eve!

I'm an impatient boob. :) I cracked one of these open after breakfast to do some much needed scientific research. Less than a week from bottling day? yeah, i know, too soon. So what? I definitely did things right. The **** is definitely carbing up nicely and had a nice pour with a bright white head. Wasn't totally ready and needs to age another couple weeks. I expect i can test again on Xmas and it should be perfect on 1/1/10.

How does it taste? Wow! Unlike any wit i've ever tried. It has all of the wit character you would expect with the yeasty quality and a good protien haze. The chamomile comes through a tad and adds to the floral quality. It's a bit spicy with a mild hop finish with a bit of alcohol in there as well. No banana or bubblegum to be detected, which is what i wanted anyway.

My brother in law is going to love this one. He's a bit imperial stout guy, but likes any big beers. I think this will convert his ass to the Belgian side.

Anyone got any thoughts?

Here's an early sample of this to give an idea of where i ended up colorwise. This is still not carbed 100% of where it should be, but it's not been 3 weeks yet. 3 weeks would be this sunday, but i think it needs more than that.

all that said, it's a goddamn delicious beer with a ton of lacing.

18174_226349343093_616883093_2983390_3886506_n.jpg

The J on there is me, i'm John. I also don't have any wheat glasses. Go figure.

Sampled another bottle today as this was officially 3 weeks from bottling and it's very ready! The carbing has gotten right to the sweet spot and it's damn drinkable. No off flavors other than the unexpected (for this style) hop biterness. It's nice and mellow and if not for the abv would make a killer session brew.

This was brewed sometime in october, but took a LONG time to finish fermenting. i'm glad i waited though as this is exactly how i envisioned it to be. So if not for anything else, it's turned out how i wanted it to. :)

My supply on this brew is down to half. I need to make more of this because i finally figured out what the mystery aroma is.

This stuff smells like cotton candy! WHOA yeah! HAHAHAHAHAAAAAA

Back