Finding the right BJCP style

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metanoia

Reaction score
Hey all, quick question, which I know will be a bit more difficult without tasting the beer. I'm looking to send my first brew I've made in a while into a competition just to get some judge feedback. The problem is I'm not too familiar with BJCP guidelines yet. The brew is a Gingerbread Brown Ale. Here's a summary:

OG: 1.056
FG: 1.008
IBU: 8
Color: 24.37

6 lb Light LME
8 oz CaraMunich Malt
8 oz Chocolate Malt
8 oz Molasses
1 tsp Allspice
1 tsp Nutmeg

0.25oz Northern Brewer (8.0% AA) @ 60 minutes
0.25oz Northern Brewer (8.0% AA) @ 10 minutes

Safale US-05

Also added an 8oz vodka tincture at bottling that soaked for 4 days with 1 vanilla bean, 1 cinnamon stick, and 1 oz fresh chopped ginger.

Like I said, I'm really just looking to get some good feedback and make sure I'm headed down the right track brewing in the future. My guess right off the bat would be one of the English Brown Ale categories, but it doesn't quite fit within any of those guidelines. My next guess would be the specialty beer category, especially since it mentions the use of molasses.

21) Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer

Entering the beer in the category of its base, Brown Ale, will get it lower scores as the flavors of the special ingredients are contrary to those style guidelines.

21) Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer

Entering the beer in the category of its base, Brown Ale, will get it lower scores as the flavors of the special ingredients are contrary to those style guidelines.

^ This :mug:

Thank you guys for the input. I definitely didn't think to look under that category, and 21B is dead on: Christmas/winter beers. :mug:

Back