Finally! 1st AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oster99

Reaction score
Finally got around to doing my first AG. Everything went well except for a stuck sparge 5 min in. I hit my original gravity and temps. All in all, it took about 4 hours start to finish. It was heck of a lot of fun and much more rewarding than extract brewing! Hopefully, the fermentation will go smoothly and the beer will be good! That's the best reward of all!

This forum is priceless for rookies like me, because there is so much info and advice.

Maybe, but probably not. I forget it about 1/2 the time myself. If you got a good cold break, that really helps with haze.

I switched to Whirlfloc recently and I've been remembering it more- it's just basically the same as Irish moss, but in a tablet. I try to remember to do it when I put the chiller in the wort.

Congrats oster, I'm sure your beer will be good.
I also recently switched from Irish Moss to Whirlflock and have noticed a marked improvement in the clarity of my beers. I mean, I'm sitting here right now with a Sierra Nevada pale ale clone I brewed a couple months ago and it's as clear as if I poured it from a SN bottle. Highly recommended.

oster99 said:
Haus pale ale! I just realized I forgot to use irish moss. Think I'll have any troulbe with haze?

I just racked my Haus Pale ale into 2ndary(also my first AG brew), and a TON of trub had fallen out of it. I'm sure gravity will do the same for yours.

+1 on the Whirlfloc.

My hydro sample from the primary tasted better warm than most of my extract brews! Soooo glad I gave up the extract habit...

I did the Haus Pale for my first AG as well. I also didn't put Irish Moss in there, but I did use gelatin and cold crashing when it went into the secondary. My beer was crystal clear!

Also, congrats on taking a big step towards throwing your money and time away!! Hehe, at least that's what my wife said happens.

Back