Final RPM (at grinding drum) for motorized Weston apple grinder?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hedo-Rick

Reaction score
Decided to motorize my apple grinder for the upcoming season, but I'm not sure what to make the final RPM at the grinding drum.

I was thinking about gearing it for an RPM of around 180. Anyone have any thought on whether that is too slow/fast? I haven't purchased the pulleys yet so I can go any direction I like.

I was planning on doing the same thing, I have read of a few people doing it and if my memory is close its like 750rpm. WVMJ

I was planning on doing the same thing, I have read of a few people doing it and if my memory is close its like 750rpm. WVMJ

That seems awfully fast to me. However, Claude Jolicoeur in The New Cider Maker's Handbook quotes 600-900 RPM. But he's referring to a custom built mill with a 12" diameter rotor, and "The Wedge Angle" (as he calls it) specifically deigned to keep the apples from kicking back out at those speeds.

I'm just not sure that Weston grinder can handle those kinds of speeds.

Yeah, that seems fast if you have been hand turning:) I have a big drill attached to mine and run it as fast as possible, not an optimal arrangement as the weight the drill put on the shaft probably not good to keep it straight. WVMJ

Latest posts

Back