final gravity?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdphillips73

Reaction score
Final gravity for edworts haus ale calls for 1.011. My final was 1.006. I didnt check the original gravity. This is my first all grain brew. Is the beer ok with this final gravity? About to bottle.

Yes, it's okay. The ABV will be a bit higher than you were expecting and the mouthfeel will be a little on the thin side, but the brew will be fine.

As long as the SG remains the same over a period of a few days you are ready to bottle. With some yeasts that are slow to finish I will wait five days for a second SG reading.

If you used notty that is not surprising. Its my only yeast. It ferments out very fast and rarely goes over 1.010 final gravity for me.

Check in a day or 2. Probably finished. If your worried about bottle bombs.

While you have the ability to control the OG through your grains or malt extract, the yeast get to choose the final gravity. When you brew a beer that is supposed to end at 1.011, that is a hint so you don't bottle a batch when it is not done. If you check the gravity and find it is 1.025 when it should be at 1.011 that is a good hint that something went wrong and the beer isn't done. Going below isn't a problem so long as it is a stable reading.

Also, since this is your first AG batch and you didn't check OG, it's possible efficiency was low, and OG was lower than expected. That would make the attenuation closer to what you expected.

Latest posts

Back