Final Gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

castillo

Reaction score
I just bottled an IPA today and the final gravity was 1.022. How come it didn't finish lower? Is this a sign of me doing something wrong?

Maris Otter 3 lbs.
Rye 1 lb.
Crystal 40L 1/2 lb.
Extra Pale LME 6.5 lbs.

Summit .5 oz. 60 mins.
Cascade .5 oz. 60 mins.
Summit 1 oz. 20 mins.
Cascade 1 oz. 20 mins.
Summit .5 oz. 5 mins.
Cascade .5 oz. 5 mins.
Amarillo 1 oz. 0 mins.

WLP001 yeast - 2L Starter

Partial mash 155° F for 45 mins. Sparge with 1 gallon of water at 156° F.
12 days in primary then racked to secondary for 3 weeks then bottled.

How does it taste? Did you correct your hydrometer reading for temp?

Some times partial mashes have a lot of non- fermentables in them. Its hard to control for this because someone else is doing part of your mash.

did you aerate or oxygenate? what temperature did you ferment at? did your temperature ever drop at some point during fermentation before you reached terminal gravity?

Bsquared said:
How does it taste? Did you correct your hydrometer reading for temp?

Some times partial mashes have a lot of non- fermentables in them. Its hard to control for this because someone else is doing part of your mash.

I think it taste fine. Yes I corrected the for temp.

thegerm said:
did you aerate or oxygenate? what temperature did you ferment at? did your temperature ever drop at some point during fermentation before you reached terminal gravity?

I aerated after pitching and fermented around 72 degrees fahrenheit the whole time

1.966 OG to FG 1.022 is just fine. You typically want to see a 1/3 drop (or more) from OG to FG. In your case, OG was 1.066 X .33= 1.022, Which is right on. Don't forget to fish conditioning in a secondary....1 wk at fermentation temp and one week under refrigeration....thime it's time to sip

If it tastes "fine" not sweet and under attenuated than you most likely just has more un fermentables in your lme than you are calculating for.

I.022 is a bit high from 1.066, but not terrible especially since you mashed at 155. I'll give you a list of things that could affect it for you next go around, but I wouldn't worry on this one if it tastes good.

1. Mash temp: If you mash was actually or periodically higher than 155 you could have extracted more unfermentables than usual.

2. Wort oxygenation: If you didn't oxygenate it well enough, the yeast may have petered out to soon

3.Pitch rate: I don't think this is at all an issue in this case. You pitched plenty for the gravity

4.Fermentation temp: If the temps were too cool, the yeast could have also petered too soon, but once 72 is on the high end so not an issue.

5. Primary time length: 12 days is a bit short for this beer. I would have left it on for at least 3 weeks to let the yeast clean up a bit.

6. Yeast strain: Also not an issue in this case. WLP001 attentuates fine at that gravity

Once again if the beer tastes good then RDWHAHB, but if you are like me and like a dry beer then you can work on these parts of your processes to help insure it drys down all the way. :mug:

My guess is you mashed higher than you thought. Did you stir your mash to ensure you had a consistent temperature throughout the mash. I find I get a number of hot and cold spots in a PM, and regularly stir it. Check your thermometer; get several thermometers and put them all in a mug of hot water and see consistent they are to one another. They should all read within a degree of each other; if not, then one is wrong.

Yes, Aeration of the wort before fermentation is a good practice. Just try to minimize any aeration post fermentation.

looking back at this, I see you Sparged with water at 158ºF, basicly in the wheelhouse of alpha-amylase. If you imagine the starch molecules, or Amylopectin, as a large bush with many shoots with lots of branches, like a tumbleweed. The Alpha-amylase is debranching enzyme, and the Beta-amylase breaks the straight sticks into smaller sticks, but will stop at branch points ( these small sticks are fermentable sugars, glucose, maltose and malto-trios). Beta is most active at 146-156, Alpha is most active at 153-162. So if you mostly have Alpha active, say at 158, you will be making mostly unfermentable long chain sugars.

next time rinse your grains with 165º water , this is hot enough to denature and stop enzymatic activity in the grains, but not hot enough to start extracting undesirable flavors from the grains.

Back