Final Gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johndeere

Reaction score
I have a Brewer's Best Kit for the Robust Porter. The last kit I had included a target for final gravity, but this one doesn't.

Ingredients:
6.6LB Amber LME
4oz choc, 4oz Crystal, and 8oz Debittered Black Specialty Grains
.5 oz bittering and aroma and 1oz flavoring hops
1 satchet of Nottingham dry yeast

OG 1.051-1.055 (mine hit 1.051)

Is there a simple way to calculate... I do plan to go all grain sometime this summer anyhow so I should know.

As far as I know there is no simple way to calculate a final gravity. There are many factors that affect final gravity--the ratio of fermentable sugars to unfermentables, fermentation temps, general health of yeast, pitching rate, etc. My advice is to not worry too much about targeting a final gravity--just let the yeast do its thing until it's finished. Good luck!
Dan

Beersmith is a great program you can buy on line (I believe you can use a free download for a limited time before you have to buy). It estimates your Fg at about 1.012 with those ingredients

Amongst other things it depends on the potential of the LME and the yeast.
Just to give you an idea of the math here's an example.

if the potential of LME 1040 per lb/gallon then (6.6*40)/5=52.8

i.e sg = 1053

Then if the yeast ferments 80% then

53-(53*80%) = 11

FG = 1011

Ok that's all I was curious about. It's been in the fermenter for just over 2 weeks now.
My Gravity is at 1.018, I figured it should finish around 1.010-1.013 so I gently stirred it with the hydrometer to suspend more yeast and hopefully drop it a few more points.

Pending a reading on Thursday and Saturday, I intend to bottle Sunday.

Latest posts

Back