Final gravity too low, can this be fixed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hirschb

Reaction score
I recently brewed a Kentucky Common with a target final gravity of 1.012 (OG 1.042). There should be some malt backbone to this beer, and it isn't supposed to be bone dry. However, after fermentation, the final gravity went down to 1.005 (US-O5 ripped right through this beer). I know that this problem could be addressed by adjusting the mash temperature in future batches, but when this happens, is there any way to fix the batch post-fermentation / pre-bottling? I was wondering if it would have been possible to add some amount of liquid malt extract with high levels of unfermentable sugars, and then let it ferment a few days longer? This would obviously raise the ABV, but it could also leave some unfermentable sugars/ malty flavors in the beer. I'm not an extract brewer, so I don't know what options are available, but could this work? Has anyone done this before? (I searched the forum posts but didn't see anything similar).
Thanks

Maltodextrin should add body, but would that really lead to a "maltier" flavor? Or would this increase in body from the maltodextrin combine with the caramel malts etc.. already in the beer to give the perception/taste of additional malt character?

Maltodextrin mostly adds to mouth feel. There really isn't much of a taste to it. The malt in the grain bill will contribute the most to the malt profile.

You might consider steeping some crystal and adding that to the finished beer. When making these type of additions post fermentation I normal work with 1oz samples and then scale it up once I find something I like. My book has more details about post fermentation additions.

"You might consider steeping some crystal and adding that to the finished beer. When making these type of additions post fermentation I normal work with 1oz samples and then scale it up once I find something I like. My book has more details about post fermentation additions."

- which gets me back to my original idea.... after determining that the final gravity is too low, add some crystal malt syrup to the already fermented beer. Has no one on this forum ever tried this?

"Water chemistry (chloride/sulfate ratio) and ibu's to OG ratio have a huge impact on maltiness. As does grain selection and yeast."

- Right, but I can't really do anything about those factors post-fermentation.

You could add CaCl post fermentation. I use the same small samples experimentation as with other post fomentation additions. Pipettes are useful for this.

You may consider adding biscuit malt or Special-B. They are more of a bready malty rather than sweet malty.

I haven't added malt extract when the beer is ready to package, but if you don't mind waiting another week for it to ferment it would be an option.

Latest posts

Back